Solve Diffusion Homework Problem: Vacancy Concentration at 687K

• Thread starter ScareCrow271828
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
In summary, the activation energy should be expressed as per atom rather than per mole of vacancies in order for the units to match in the equation Nv=Nexp(-Q/kt). This can be achieved by dividing the activation energy by Avogadro's number.
ScareCrow271828

Homework Statement

The activation energy of vacany formation in Zinc is 72kj per mole. What is the vacancy concentration at 687k

Homework Equations

Nv=Nexp(-Q/kt)
N=p(Na/A)

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems very straight forward.
Although I keep getting zero for the exponent term.
Nv=(7,14g/cm^3)(6.02e23 atom/mole)/(65.382g/mol)xEXP((-72000J/mol/((1.3807E-23 J/k)(687k)=0

Something is definately fishy with the units. What am I missing? If I convert the Qv into eV/atom and use 8.61 eV/K I can get a number.

Thanks for your time.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that Q in the formula needs to be expressed as activation energy per vacancy rather than activation energy per mole of vacancies.

TSny said:
I believe that Q in the formula needs to be expressed as activation energy per vacancy rather than activation energy per mole of vacancies.
Thanks for the response. would dividing Q by Avogadro's number to get Q (kJ/atom) work? Boltzman constant is actually j/k*atom right? so the units would match then.

ScareCrow271828 said:
Thanks for the response. would dividing Q by Avogadro's number to get Q (kJ/atom) work? Boltzman constant is actually j/k*atom right? so the units would match then.
Yes.

1. What is diffusion and why is it important in materials science?

Diffusion is the process by which atoms or molecules move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. In materials science, diffusion is important because it plays a crucial role in how materials change and interact with their environment. This can affect properties such as strength, conductivity, and corrosion resistance.

2. How is vacancy concentration related to diffusion?

Vacancy concentration refers to the number of empty spaces or vacancies in a material's atomic structure. These vacancies allow atoms to move more easily, increasing the rate of diffusion. The higher the vacancy concentration, the faster the diffusion process will occur.

3. How can I calculate vacancy concentration at a specific temperature?

To calculate vacancy concentration at a specific temperature, you can use the Arrhenius equation which relates the diffusion coefficient to the temperature and activation energy. This equation can be solved for the vacancy concentration by knowing the temperature, diffusion coefficient, and activation energy of the material.

4. What factors can affect vacancy concentration at a given temperature?

The two main factors that can affect vacancy concentration at a given temperature are the temperature itself and the type of material. Higher temperatures will generally result in higher vacancy concentrations due to increased atomic movement. Different materials will also have different vacancy concentrations at the same temperature due to variations in their atomic structures.

5. How can understanding vacancy concentration help in material design?

Understanding vacancy concentration is crucial in material design as it can provide insight into how a material will behave in different environments. By controlling vacancy concentration, material properties such as strength and corrosion resistance can be tailored to specific applications. Additionally, knowledge of vacancy concentration can aid in predicting material behavior and guiding the selection of materials for specific uses.