Solving Doping Concentration: Temperature for 10% Hole Concentration

Your Name]In summary, we have a question about finding the temperature at which the hole concentration (p) in doped silicon is equal to 10% of the ionized impurity concentration (Nd+). We can use the equation Ef = Ed + (kT/ln(Nd+/Nd)) to solve for the temperature, where Ef is the Fermi level, Ed is the donor energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, and Nd and Nd+ are the donor and ionized donor concentrations, respectively. By plugging in the given values and solving for T, we can determine the temperature at which p = 0.1Nd+. If you have any further questions, please do
brad sue

Homework Statement

Silicon is doped with 10^16 phosphorus atoms/cm^3.
At what temperature would the hole concentration be equal to 10% of the ionized impurity concentration?

2. Homework Equations
I am very confused with the equation I have .

The translation of the question is I believe p=0.1(Nd+), where p is the hole concentration.

I think I can use the equation for Nd+= Nd x e(-(Ef-Ed)/KT),
where Nd+ is the ionized donor concentration, Nd is the donor concentration, Ef the fermi level, Ed the donor energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I am not sure I am using gthe good equation, then I don't know how to find the Ef and Ed . i was not able to find or don't understand how to get the Ev and Ec...

Homework Equations

Please can I have some guidance at least for the equations?

Thank you
brad

Physics news on Phys.org
ley

Dear Bradley,

Thank you for your question. The equation you have mentioned is indeed the correct one to use in this scenario. As you have correctly stated, we are looking for the temperature at which the hole concentration (p) is equal to 10% of the ionized impurity concentration (Nd+). This can be written as p = 0.1Nd+.

To solve for the temperature, we need to rearrange the equation you have mentioned to solve for the Fermi level (Ef). This can be done by taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation and rearranging the terms. The resulting equation is:

Ef = Ed + (kT/ln(Nd+/Nd))

Now, to find the value of Ef, we need to know the values of Ed, Nd and Nd+. The donor energy (Ed) can be found in reference books or online databases for different impurities in silicon. The donor concentration (Nd) can be determined from the given information in the question, which is 10^16 phosphorus atoms/cm^3. Finally, the ionized donor concentration (Nd+) can be calculated by multiplying the donor concentration (Nd) with the Boltzmann distribution factor, which is given by e(-(Ef-Ed)/kT).

Once you have all these values, you can substitute them into the equation for Ef and solve for the temperature (T). This will give you the temperature at which the hole concentration will be equal to 10% of the ionized impurity concentration.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is doping concentration?

Doping concentration refers to the number of impurity atoms intentionally added to a material in order to alter its electrical properties.

2. Why is doping concentration important?

Doping concentration plays a crucial role in determining the electrical conductivity and overall performance of a material. It can also be used to control the type and amount of charge carriers (electrons or holes) in a material, which is important for various electronic and semiconductor applications.

3. How is doping concentration measured?

Doping concentration is typically measured using techniques such as secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS), energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX), or Hall effect measurements.

4. What is the relationship between doping concentration and temperature?

The relationship between doping concentration and temperature is complex and highly dependent on the specific material and doping element involved. In general, as temperature increases, the number of charge carriers also increases due to thermal excitation. However, this relationship may not hold true for all materials and doping concentrations.

5. How is the temperature for 10% hole concentration determined?

The temperature for 10% hole concentration is typically determined through experimentation and analysis of the material's electrical properties. This involves varying the temperature and measuring the resulting number of holes in the material to determine the temperature at which 10% hole concentration is achieved.