Solve Eigen Values/Vectors of Matrix w/ Repeated Eigenvalues

• Thread starter Number2Pencil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigen values and eigen vectors of a given matrix by setting up and solving the lambda equation and using the block form of the matrix. The difficulty of solving the problem by hand is acknowledged, and suggestions are given for moving forward.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Find the eigen values/eigen vectors of

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
3&-1&1&1&0&0\\
1&1&-1&-1&0&0\\
0&0&2&0&1&1\\
0&0&0&2&-1&-1\\
0&0&0&0&1&1\\
0&0&0&0&1&1\\
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The lambda equation is:

[tex]
A - \lambda I =
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
3 - \lambda&-1&1&1&0&0\\
1&1 - \lambda&-1&-1&0&0\\
0&0&2 - \lambda&0&1&1\\
0&0&0&2 - \lambda&-1&-1\\
0&0&0&0&1 - \lambda&1\\
0&0&0&0&1&1 - \lambda\\
\end{array}
\right]

[/tex]

Finding the determinant yields:

[tex]
-32 \lambda + 80\lambda^2 - 80\lambda^3 + 40\lambda^4 - 10\lambda^5 + \lambda^6
[/tex]

Setting equal to zero and factoring gives the eigen values:

[tex]
\lambda =
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
0\\
2\\
2\\
2\\
2\\
2\\
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

Plugging in lambda = 2 into the lambda equation gives:

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1&-1&1&1&0&0\\
1&-1&-1&-1&0&0\\
0&0&0&0&1&1\\
0&0&0&0&-1&-1\\
0&0&0&0&-1&1\\
0&0&0&0&1&-1\\
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]
The columns help for the simultaneous equations:

The bottom four rows reveal that X5, X6 = 0

Adding the first two rows together gives:

2X1 - 2X2 = 0

or

X1 = X2, So I choose X1 = X2 = 1, since the eigen vector must be a non-zero vector.

X3 and X4 cancel out so I choose them to = 0.

-------------
Since the eigen values repeat, I have to use the previous eigen vector as the answer to the simultaneous equations:

Summing the top two rows together:

2X1 - 2X2 = 2

or

X1 = 1 + X2. Everything else is still zero, choose X2 = 0, X1 = 1
--------------
Recursively using the previous eigen vector:

2 equations, 4 unknowns, choose X2 = 0, X4 = 0, top two equations become:

X1 + X3 = 1
X1 - X3 = 0

X1 and X3 = 1/2
--------------
Recursively using the previous eigen vector:

This is where the trouble comes into play:

3rd equation : X5 + X6 = 1/2
4th equation: -X5 - X6 = 0

which cannot be solved...

This keeps happening over and over. I used MATLAB to verify that the eigen values and vectors could be found...but I cannot solve this through.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is in the block form
[itex][\begin{array}{cc}A&B\\0&C\end{array}][\begin{array}{c}x_1\\x_2\end{array}]=\lambda[\begin{array}{c}x_1\\x_2\end{array}][/itex]
which is
[itex]Ax_1+Bx_2=\lambda x_1[/itex]
[itex]Cx_2=\lambda x_2[/itex]
which you can solve easier because they are 3x3

A few more questions (forgive my lacking linear algebra skills)

1) You say that the problem was in a special form...why does this method present itself due to the form? Does it not apply if the lower-left 3x3 was not equal to zero?

2) are x1 and x2 both going to be 3x3 matrices, and concatenated together into a 3x6 will be the eigen vectors?

3) In terms of solving for x1 and x2, is this just simultaneous matrix equations, so perform the usual simultaneous-equation solving skills (with inverse matrices instead of division)?

4) Was it just very difficult (or impossible) to solve it the way I had described, due to the fact that I get too much freedom to choose many of the values, and end up getting stuck during the process if I'm not very strategic?

Number2Pencil said:
A few more questions (forgive my lacking linear algebra skills)

1) You say that the problem was in a special form...why does this method present itself due to the form? Does it not apply if the lower-left 3x3 was not equal to zero?

2) are x1 and x2 both going to be 3x3 matrices, and concatenated together into a 3x6 will be the eigen vectors?

3) In terms of solving for x1 and x2, is this just simultaneous matrix equations, so perform the usual simultaneous-equation solving skills (with inverse matrices instead of division)?

4) Was it just very difficult (or impossible) to solve it the way I had described, due to the fact that I get too much freedom to choose many of the values, and end up getting stuck during the process if I'm not very strategic?

1) The lower-left block being 0 makes the second equation that I gave simpler, otherwise the two equations will be coupled, and not easy to solve by hand. It is just a trick that you play to make a homework (not real life) problem simpler.

2) x1 and x2 are both 3x1 vectors, they concatenate to a 6x1 vector that is the eigenvector, there are multiple solutions, but I recommend that you treat them as vectors not matrices, and find out all the vectors that satisfy the equations.

3) The second equation is a 3x3 eigenvalue problem, solve as you did for the 6x6 problem, only much simpler (by hand); then sub into the first equation and solve as a linear system (also 3x3, try to find all the solutions, whatever way you prefer)

4) Honestly I didn't read your description, but eigenvalue problems are hard problems, usually handled by computers, any general form beyond 6x6 is probably too much for a human :)(unless it has special structures, such as convolution matrix, etc. )

Alright, well here's how far I got:

[tex]
|C - \lambda I| = (2-\lambda)(-2\lambda + \lambda^2)
[/tex]

So the eigen values for the C Matrix are 2, 2, and 0.

I won't show the exact steps, but my eigen vectors (x2) for C are:
[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
0\\
1\\
-1\\
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
0\\
0\\
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
0\\
-\frac{1}{2}\\
-\frac{1}{2}\\
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

Solving the first equation for x1:

[tex]
x1 = (A-\lambda I)^{-1} (-B x2)
[/tex]

but now the problem is that when I plug in 2 for lambda, I end up with a matrix that I cannot take the inverse of.

Any suggestions on moving forward??

but now the problem is that when I plug in 2 for lambda, I end up with a matrix that I cannot take the inverse of.

I think you're a bit confused. The whole point of eigenvalues is that those are the values which, when you plug in for lambda, you get a non-invertible matrix. Let's look at a smaller example to see how to find the corresponding eigenvector. Given the matrix

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}1&1\\0&0\end{array} \right)[/tex]

You can check that it has eigenvalues of 0 and 1. Let's find the eigenvector corresponding to 1:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}1&1\\0&0\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{cc} x\\ y \end{array} \right) = 1*\left( \begin{array}{cc} x\\ y \end{array} \right)[/tex]

This gives us two equations: x+y=x and 0+0=0. So the "solution" to this system of equations is y=0 and x can be anything. In general you won't get a unique solution, because if v is an eigenvector, you can scale v to get another eigenvector. So you expect to get a one dimensional set of solutions

Okay. I see. You're right I was confused about the eigen-vectors creating a non-invertible matrix.

The example you described was the original method I was trying to do, but got stuck with impossible to solve system of equations (on the 4th repeated eigen-value "plug-in", see first post)

Following sunjin's suggestion of partitioning the matrix and creating linear system to solve, I got stuck on not being able to take the inverse (because of what you just told me about eigen-vectors).

Sooooo...is there a different way to solve that linear system..is there a different way to do the original approach of simultaneous equations...or is there another method altogether??

Last edited:
If you row-reduce your matrix a bit more, you get
\begin{bmatrix}
1&-1&0&0&0&0\\
0&0&1&1&0&0\\
0&0&0&0&1&0\\
0&0&0&0&0&1\\
0&0&0&0&0&0\\
0&0&0&0&0&0\\
\end{bmatrix} which corresponds to the four equations
\begin{align*}
x_1 - x_2 &= 0 \\
x_3+x_4 &= 0 \\
x_5 = 0 \\
x_6 = 0
\end{align*} You analyzed the first, third, and fourth equations already and found one eigenvector from this system, but there's a second one. From the first eigenvector, you had (1,1,0,0,0,0), (1,0,0,0,0,0), and (1/2,0,1/2,0,0,0). The fact you couldn't find a solution using the last vector in the chain means you've reached the end. Now you have to find a new chain starting with the second eigenvector.

Last edited:
Okay, I continued forward by doing the reduced-row echelon form, and now I am verifying my answers.

When I multiply the original A matrix by the eigenvector (1,0,0,0,0,0), I get an answer of (3,1,0,0,0,0)...Shouldn't the answer be a scalar multiple of the eigenvector? Does this mean I've made a mistake?

The matrix A doesn't have five linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 2; it has only two, which you can find by solving the original system (A-λI)x=0.

The vector (1,0,0,0,0,0) is a generalized eigenvector of A. You found it by solving (A-λI)x = (1,1,0,0,0,0)T so you have Ax = (1,1,0,0,0,0)T + λx = (3,1,0,0,0,0)T.

Great! So that means everything is gravy now!

Thanks all, this has REALLY given me a lot of insight on some of these concepts. :)

Related to Solve Eigen Values/Vectors of Matrix w/ Repeated Eigenvalues

What is an eigenvalue and eigenvector?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the scaling factor of an eigenvector. An eigenvector is a vector that remains in the same direction after a linear transformation.

Why is it important to solve for eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix with repeated eigenvalues?

Solving for eigenvalues and eigenvectors allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of a matrix. In the case of repeated eigenvalues, it helps us identify the presence of linearly dependent or redundant vectors in the matrix.

What methods can be used to solve for eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix with repeated eigenvalues?

The most common methods include the power method, QR algorithm, and Jacobi method. These methods involve finding the characteristic polynomial of the matrix and then finding the roots to determine the eigenvalues. The corresponding eigenvectors can then be found using various techniques such as Gaussian elimination or LU decomposition.

Can a matrix have more than one set of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple sets of eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This can occur when the matrix has repeated eigenvalues or when there is a degeneracy in the eigenvalue problem.

How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors used in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. They are used in image and signal processing, machine learning algorithms, and determining the stability of systems in physics and engineering.