What is the equation for solving for alpha?

• Thread starter physics_dude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alpha
In summary, the conversation is about solving for alpha in the equation M/rF = Sin(alpha)Cos(theta) + Sin(theta)Cos(alpha). The person is having trouble solving the problem and tried two different approaches but still couldn't find the solution. They mention knowing the values for M, r, F, and theta, and express appreciation for any help. Another person suggests using the formula \sin (a+b) = \sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b to solve the problem, but then realizes it was already solved.
physics_dude
i have this equation. While working on a problem i came across this. I need to solve for alpha. I can't seem to get anywere. I tried the problem two ways and end up havin the same problem so any help be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Solve for alpha

M/rF = Sin(alpha)Cos(theta) + Sin(theta)Cos(alpha)

(this is as far as i would get than get stuck
i no the value for M,r,F,theta. Need to find alpha
thanks a lot

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sin (a+b) = \sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b[/itex]

got it
thanks

Here's a wild idea :approve:

[tex] \arcsin(\frac{M}{rF}) = \theta + \alpha [/tex]

Edit: Oh damn, just when i was typing it :frown:

What is the meaning of "Solve for Alpha"?

"Solve for Alpha" is a phrase commonly used in mathematics and science, where "alpha" represents a variable or unknown value that needs to be determined or solved for in an equation or problem.

What is the purpose of solving for alpha?

The purpose of solving for alpha is to find the value of the variable in order to accurately solve an equation or problem. It allows for a better understanding of the relationship between different variables and can lead to new discoveries or solutions.

What are some common methods for solving for alpha?

Some common methods for solving for alpha include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating equations and using mathematical principles to find the value of the variable.

Can alpha have multiple solutions?

Yes, alpha can have multiple solutions depending on the equation or problem. In some cases, there may be more than one value that satisfies the equation and therefore, multiple solutions for alpha.

How is solving for alpha relevant in scientific research?

Solving for alpha is relevant in scientific research as it allows researchers to accurately analyze data, make predictions, and develop theories. It is also an important tool for testing hypotheses and understanding the relationships between different variables in an experiment.