How do we expand fractions to make their denominators the same for subtraction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter bobisaka
  • Start date
In summary, the fractions are expanded to have the same denominator, which makes it possible to subtract them. This is done by finding the least common multiple of the denominators and expanding each fraction accordingly.
bobisaka
In step 3, how did the fractions come to multiplying with those particular numbers?

View attachment 9462

Attachments

• math.png
    math.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 54
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We expand the fractions in that way so that the two fractions get the same denominator, in order to be able to calculate the subtraction, since it is not possible to subtract fractions with different denominators.

The denominator of the first fraction is $6$ and the of the second one it is $9$. We expand both fractions to make their denominators the same as the least common denominator.

The Least Common Multiple of $6$ and $9$ is $18$. It holds that $6\cdot 3=18$ and $9\cdot 2=18$. Therefore we expand the first fraction by $3$ : $\frac{11}{6}=\frac{11\cdot 3}{6\cdot 3}=\frac{33}{18}$ and the second fraction by $2$: $\frac{7}{9}=\frac{7\cdot 2}{9\cdot 2}=\frac{14}{18}$.

Now we can do the subtraction by subtracting the numerators: $$\frac{11}{6}-\frac{7}{9}=\frac{33}{18}-\frac{14}{18}=\frac{19}{18}$$

1. What is the equation "11/6=n+7/9" asking me to solve for?

The equation is asking you to find the value of n that makes the equation true. In other words, you need to find the number that, when added to 7/9, equals 11/6.

2. How do I solve for n in this equation?

To solve for n, you need to isolate it on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In this case, you can start by subtracting 7/9 from both sides of the equation to get 11/6 - 7/9 = n. Then, you can simplify the left side of the equation to get the value of n.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation manually before relying on a calculator. This will help you better understand the process and catch any errors that may occur.

4. What happens if I make a mistake while solving for n?

If you make a mistake while solving for n, the equation will no longer be true. This means that the value of n you calculated is incorrect. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all the steps are correct to ensure an accurate solution.

5. Are there any special rules or formulas I need to know to solve this equation?

No, there are no special rules or formulas needed to solve this equation. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic algebraic operations and how to manipulate equations to isolate a variable. Practice and familiarity with these concepts will make solving equations like this one easier.