What is the factorization of x^4-2x^3+3x^2-2x+1?

In summary, the system of equations given is x7 + y7 = 1 and x + y = 1. The solution to the system can be found by finding the intersection of the graphs y = 1 - x and y = (1-x^7)^(1/7). For n > 2, the graph of x^n + y^n = 1 lies outside the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1, except at the ends (1,0) and (0,1). The last term in the expression x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1 can be factored into (x2-x+1)
cupcakes

Homework Statement

Given:
x7 + y7 =1
x + y = 1

Find the integer value(s) of (x-y)2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of substituting for y and then finding the rational roots but then I realized x and y don't have to be rational numbers for (x-y)^2 to be an integer. I am 90% sure the only solution is 1 (when x=1,y=0 or x=0,y=1) but don't know how to prove it. Any hint? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cupcakes said:

Homework Statement

Given:
x7 + y7 =1
x + y = 1

Homework Equations

I thought of substituting for y and then finding the rational roots but then I realized x and y don't have to be rational numbers for (x-y)^2 to be an integer. I am 90% sure the only solution is 1 (when x=1,y=0 or x=0,y=1) but don't know how to prove it. Any hint? Thanks.
What are the solutions to the system of equations:

x7 + y7 =1

x + y = 1

?

I think I'm very close to solving it. I substituted y= (1-x) in the first equation and expanded. Then I factored that. However I don't know how to factor the last term.

x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1

WolframAplha say it can be factored into (x2-x+1)2. I just need to figure out how to factor that into this and then I'm done (I think). Any ideas? Thanks.

cupcakes said:
I think I'm very close to solving it. I substituted y= (1-x) in the first equation and expanded. Then I factored that. However I don't know how to factor the last term.

x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1

WolframAplha say it can be factored into (x2-x+1)2. I just need to figure out how to factor that into this and then I'm done (I think). Any ideas? Thanks.
How did you get to that expression?
Expanding (1-x)7 allows us to cancel the 1 and -x7 terms, so the highest power of x is 6, then after dividing through by x it should be a max power of 5.

Mentallic said:
How did you get to that expression?
Expanding (1-x)7 allows us to cancel the 1 and -x7 terms, so the highest power of x is 6, then after dividing through by x it should be a max power of 5.

Exactly. After expanding and canceling out we have:

7x6 - 21x5 + 35x4 - 35x3 + 21x2 - 7x.

First I divided by (7x). Then I realized (x-1) is a factor (since x=1 is a zero). After long division I have:

(7x)(x-1)(x4 - 2x3 + 3x2 - 2x + 1)

Ahh ok so you already factored out the x=1 factor.

So it's a quartic and hence it must have 4 complex roots. But since all the coefficients are real, the complex roots must come in complex conjugate pairs, and when you expand out [itex](x-\alpha)(x-\beta)[/itex] where [itex]\alpha, \beta \inℂ[/itex] it must be equal to a quadratic with real coefficients.

So, with this we can deduce that the quartic must be able to be factorized into

[tex](x^2+ax\pm 1)(x^2+bx\pm 1)[/tex]

And expanding that, then equating coefficients we can deduce a=b=-1 and we need to take the positive of the [itex]/pm[/itex] operator.

cupcakes said:

Homework Statement

Given:
x7 + y7 =1
x + y = 1

Homework Equations

One way to proceed is to look for the intersection of the two graphs y = 1 - x and y = (1-x^7)^(1/7). For the latter: look at the graph y vs x for x^n + y^n = 1. When n = 1 you get the line x+y=1. When n = 2 you get the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1, a circle of radius 1 passing through the points (1,0) and (0,1). What happens if n > 2? Well, any point (x,y) in the interior of the first quadrant and on the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1 must lie to the left and below the curve y = f(x) for x^n + y^n = 1. This is because such a point on the circle has 0 < x < 1 and 0 < y < 1, so x^n < x^2 and y^n < y^2, hence x^n + y^n < 1. That means we need to increase x and/or y to bring the quantity x^n + y^n up to 1. In other words, for n > 2 the graph is outside the circle except at the ends (1,0) and (0,1). That means that the intersection of the graph with x + y = 1 is easy to ascertain.

RGV

cupcakes said:

x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1

Split the 3x2 into x2 + 2x2 .

x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1
=x4-2x3+x2 + 2x2-2x+1

=(x2-x)2 + 2(x2-x) + 1

...​

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a group of two or more equations with multiple variables that are related to each other. It is usually represented in the form of simultaneous equations, where the solution is the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

How do you solve a system of equations?

To solve a system of equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the others. The final solution is the set of values that make all of the equations true simultaneously.

Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This depends on the relationship between the equations and the variables. For example, if the equations represent parallel lines, there will be no solution. If the equations represent the same line, there will be infinite solutions. If the equations represent intersecting lines, there will be one unique solution.

What are some real-life applications of solving systems of equations?

Solving systems of equations is used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to model and solve problems related to business, population growth, chemical reactions, and many other real-world scenarios.

What are some common mistakes when solving systems of equations?

Some common mistakes when solving systems of equations include incorrect substitution or elimination, forgetting to distribute negative signs, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check the solution and the steps taken to reach it to avoid these errors.