1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for system of equations

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given:
    x7 + y7 =1
    x + y = 1

Find the integer value(s) of (x-y)2.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought of substituting for y and then finding the rational roots but then I realized x and y don't have to be rational numbers for (x-y)^2 to be an integer. I am 90% sure the only solution is 1 (when x=1,y=0 or x=0,y=1) but don't know how to prove it. Any hint? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the solutions to the system of equations:

x7 + y7 =1

x + y = 1

?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    I think I'm very close to solving it. I substituted y= (1-x) in the first equation and expanded. Then I factored that. However I don't know how to factor the last term.

x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1

WolframAplha say it can be factored in to (x2-x+1)2. I just need to figure out how to factor that in to this and then I'm done (I think). Any ideas? Thanks.

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

How did you get to that expression?
    Expanding (1-x)7 allows us to cancel the 1 and -x7 terms, so the highest power of x is 6, then after dividing through by x it should be a max power of 5.

6. Sep 20, 2012 #5
    Exactly. After expanding and canceling out we have:

7x6 - 21x5 + 35x4 - 35x3 + 21x2 - 7x.

First I divided by (7x). Then I realized (x-1) is a factor (since x=1 is a zero). After long division I have:

(7x)(x-1)(x4 - 2x3 + 3x2 - 2x + 1)

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ahh ok so you already factored out the x=1 factor.

So it's a quartic and hence it must have 4 complex roots. But since all the coefficients are real, the complex roots must come in complex conjugate pairs, and when you expand out [itex](x-\alpha)(x-\beta)[/itex] where [itex]\alpha, \beta \inℂ[/itex] it must be equal to a quadratic with real coefficients.

So, with this we can deduce that the quartic must be able to be factorized into

[tex](x^2+ax\pm 1)(x^2+bx\pm 1)[/tex]

And expanding that, then equating coefficients we can deduce a=b=-1 and we need to take the positive of the [itex]/pm[/itex] operator.

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way to proceed is to look for the intersection of the two graphs y = 1 - x and y = (1-x^7)^(1/7). For the latter: look at the graph y vs x for x^n + y^n = 1. When n = 1 you get the line x+y=1. When n = 2 you get the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1, a circle of radius 1 passing through the points (1,0) and (0,1). What happens if n > 2? Well, any point (x,y) in the interior of the first quadrant and on the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1 must lie to the left and below the curve y = f(x) for x^n + y^n = 1. This is because such a point on the circle has 0 < x < 1 and 0 < y < 1, so x^n < x^2 and y^n < y^2, hence x^n + y^n < 1. That means we need to increase x and/or y to bring the quantity x^n + y^n up to 1. In other words, for n > 2 the graph is outside the circle except at the ends (1,0) and (0,1). That means that the intersection of the graph with x + y = 1 is easy to ascertain.

RGV

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Split the 3x2 into x2 + 2x2 .

x4-2x3+3x2-2x+1
    =x4-2x3+x2 + 2x2-2x+1

=(x2-x)2 + 2(x2-x) + 1

...​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook