Solve Gauss's Law: 8.0 & -4.9 Charges in Uncharged Sphere

In summary: Electric flux = E(4piR^2)..I think thats what is being asked for.Electric flux = E(4piR^2) is the electric field of a point charge at a distance of r from a center of charge.
Seems I missed the continuation of this thread.

Just as a note. Adding the charges and acting as if they are just one charge at the origin works in this case because of gauss law for the flux. The total electric field is not simply the formula sgd gave with the total charge but would be the sum of two terms each representing one of the point charges. Then integrating over a sphere would not be easy.

Which is why I would have used the worded form of Gauss's law.

The electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the total charge in the volume inside this surface.

For the units...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can never get the unit you gave. The Vm sgd gave is the correct unit.

but how sir when i got that answer wrong lol. those units are what my teacher expects the answer in.

Does the numerical value of the answer fit? Look up SI units. There is no way to convert
kiloNewton* meter^2 / Coloumb to
Volt * meter

they're equivalent, apart from the kilo bit of course but that isn't a problem, both denote flux

i believe u betel when u say it cannot be converted into those units. but surely my teacher would not have been so unreasonable as to do that to us. surely there is a way around this

sgd is right.
Seems i wasn't really awake when I tried to convert the units. But converting the units will only change factors of 10.

so is my answer still 3.5 X 10^-11 or something else

No it is [tex] 3.5\cdot 10^{11} Vm = 3.5\cdot 10^8 KN m^2/C[/tex].
And from the data you gave (charges 8 mC and -4.9 mC) this is correct. I agree with sgd on that.

i think u mean 3.5 * 10^-8 sir

[tex]\Phi=\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}=\frac{3.1\mu C}{8.85418782 \cdot 10^{-12} \frac{As}{Vm}}=0.35 \cdot 10^6 Vm=3.5\cdot 10^5 Vm = 3.5\cdot 10^2 kN m^2/C[/tex]

I had calculated with milli Coulomb before.

fair enough...anddddddddddddddddddddddddd yayaaaa that's the answer...thankyou betel and sgd. you guys are champs. i appreciate your help.