Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question, Practical Difficulties

• Thread starter TheOne123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistivity
In summary: It says 4.4 X 10-7. How did you get 4.4 X 10-7?If you show your work I'll try to identify the mistake.
TheOne123
I was doing some questions from a book on resistivity and I came across this, I really can't work this out, I'm stumped.

In a resistance experiment, a gold ring as connected into a circuit as a resistor. The connections touched on a diametrically opposite points on the circular ring. Its diameter is 2CM, and the metal's cross-section is a rectangle 3mm by 0.5mm. A volt meter is connected across the ring measured 8.3 m V, whilst the current though it was measured at 18 A.

a) Calculate the resistivity of gold.
b) Describe a practical difficulty with undertaking an experiment of this kind.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can consider two half-rings connected in parallel. For each one use the formula for the resistance of a wire.

TheOne123 said:
I was doing some questions from a book on resistivity and I came across this, I really can't work this out, I'm stumped.
Calculate the resistance of the ring in this circuit. Then work out the resistance of one half of the ring on the basis that the two halves of the ring amount to two half rings in parallel. Then work out the resistivity from that resistance.

AM

Hmm ok. I'm still a bit cofused. Can someone start. Of te calculation for me please an I will go from there. Thanks in advance.

As for practical difficulties, how many gold rings have you seen that have a perfectly rectangular cross-section?

TheOne123 said:
Hmm ok. I'm still a bit cofused. Can someone start. Of te calculation for me please an I will go from there. Thanks in advance.

Use Ohm's law to determine the resistance.

Since this total resistance is from two sides of the ring in parallel, you can work out the resistance of each side of the ring:

[tex]\frac{1}{R} = \frac{1}{R_{half}} + \frac{1}{R_{half}}[/tex]

Use [itex]\rho L/A = R[/itex] to find the resistivity, where L is the length of the conductor and A is the cross sectional area.

AM

Ahh I still keep getting it wrong.

The answer should be 4.4 X 10-7 as it says in the back.

TheOne123 said:
Ahh I still keep getting it wrong.

The answer should be 4.4 X 10-7 as it says in the back.

Isn't 4.4 X 10-8?
This is more realistic.

nasu said:
Isn't 4.4 X 10-8?
This is more realistic.

It says 4.4 X 10-7. How did you get 4.4 X 10-7?

If you show your work I'll try to identify the mistake.
But I think you'll get about 4x10^(-8).

1. What is the purpose of the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" in scientific research?

The "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" is a practical exercise commonly used in physics and engineering to demonstrate the principles of resistivity and conductivity. It involves measuring the resistance of a gold ring and using this information to calculate the resistivity of gold. This experiment helps students understand how different materials conduct electricity and the factors that affect their resistance.

2. What are some practical difficulties that may arise when conducting the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question"?

Some potential challenges that may arise when conducting the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" include variations in the thickness or purity of the gold ring, inaccurate measurement tools, and external factors such as temperature and humidity that can affect the resistance of the ring. It is important to carefully control these variables to obtain accurate results.

3. How can the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" be useful in real-life applications?

The principles learned from the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" can be applied in many real-life scenarios, such as designing electrical circuits and devices. By understanding the resistivity of different materials, engineers can determine the most suitable materials for specific applications and ensure the efficient flow of electricity in their designs.

4. How does the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" relate to conductivity and resistivity?

The "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" is directly related to the concepts of conductivity and resistivity. Conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity, while resistivity is a measure of a material's resistance to the flow of electricity. By measuring the resistance of the gold ring, we can calculate its resistivity and use this information to understand how well it conducts electricity.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question"?

While the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" is a useful and informative experiment, it has some limitations. For example, the results may not be accurate if the gold ring is not a pure sample or if external factors are not controlled. Additionally, the experiment only measures the resistivity of one material and cannot be used to compare the resistivity of different materials. Overall, the "Solve Gold Ring Resistivity Question" is a valuable learning tool, but it should be used in conjunction with other experiments to fully understand the concepts of conductivity and resistivity.