Solve Inequalities algebraically

In summary, the student found that r < 4/3 and r< 2, and then tested whether or not 3r- 4> 0 and r- 2< 0. If they are both positive, then the answer is (4/3, 2). If they are both negative, then the answer is (-4/3, -2).
Panphobia

Homework Statement

153wehw.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I started this question, I knew that 2r +3 > 0 in order for this whole thing to work so r > -3/2, and I know that if the middle term has to be more than 0, than only one more of the others is going to be negative, for the first term i found that r < 4/3 and the third was r < 2, so I know that the answer should be (4/3, 2), but how do I prove that algebraically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:
So when I started this question, I knew that 2r +3 > 0 in order for this whole thing to work so r > -3/2, and I know that if the middle term has to be more than 0, than only one more of the others is going to be negative, for the first term i found that r < 4/3 and the third was r < 2, so I know that the answer should be (4/3, 2), but how do I prove that algebraically?
I wouldn't solve it "algebraically." I would solve it by making a two-column table. First, find values of r that would make the left side 0 or undefined (I call these critical values), which appears you have already done. Then in the first column list all critical values and all intervals bounded by these critical values.
Code:
Test interval|Value
-------------+----------
(-inf, -3/2) |undefined
r = -3/2     |0
(-3/2, 4/3)  |
r = 4/3      |0
(4/3, 2)     |
r = 2        |0
(2, inf)     |
In the second column, you fill in 0, undefined, positive, or negative. For the remaining intervals, pick a test value to plug into the inequality and you will eventually determine the solution set.

ohhhh ok, that makes sense. thank you.

Since the square root, [itex]\sqrt{2r+ 3}[/itex], is, by definition, nonnegative, you can (almost) ignore it. The product of the two numbers, 3r- 4 and [itex]\sqrt[3]{r- 2}[/itex], will be negative if and only if the two factors are of opposite order. In other words, either

1) 3r- 4> 0 and [itex]\sqrt[3]{r- 2}< 0[/itex] or
2) 3r- 4< 0 and [itex]\sqrt[3]{r- 2}> 0[/itex]

Similarly, a positive number, cubed, is positive and a negative number, cubed, is negative. So that can be reduced to
1) 3r- 4> 0 and r- 2< 0 or
2) 3r- 4< 0 and r- 2> 0.

3r- 4> 0 for r> 4/3 and r- 2< 0 for r< 3. Those will both be true for 4/3< r< 3.
[itex]\sqrt{2r+ 3}= 0[/itex] only for r= -3/2 and that does not lie between 4/3 and 3.

(1) is true for 4/3< r< 3.

3r- r< 0 for r< 4/3 and r- 2> 0 for r> 3. (2) is never true.

1. How do I solve inequalities algebraically?

To solve inequalities algebraically, you need to follow the same rules as solving equations. The only difference is that when you multiply or divide by a negative number, the direction of the inequality symbol changes. It is also important to remember to keep the inequality sign the same when combining like terms.

2. What are the steps for solving inequalities algebraically?

The steps for solving inequalities algebraically are as follows: 1. Isolate the variable on one side of the inequality by using inverse operations.2. If you multiply or divide by a negative number, switch the direction of the inequality symbol.3. Simplify the inequality by combining like terms.4. Solve for the variable using the same steps as solving equations.5. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

3. Do I need to graph the solution when solving inequalities algebraically?

Yes, it is important to graph the solution when solving inequalities algebraically to visually represent the solution set. This will help you understand the solution and check if your solution is correct.

4. Can I solve inequalities algebraically without isolating the variable?

No, isolating the variable is a crucial step in solving inequalities algebraically. If the variable is not isolated, you will not have a clear solution and may end up with an incorrect answer.

5. What is the difference between solving equations and solving inequalities algebraically?

The main difference is that when solving inequalities algebraically, you need to consider the direction of the inequality symbol when using inverse operations. This is because multiplying or dividing by a negative number will change the direction of the inequality. In equations, you can simply use inverse operations without worrying about the direction of the equality sign.