Solve Integral: x^(1/x) to Power of x^(1/x)

• Thread starter latyph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a function presented by a colleague that involves a power tower and the question of whether it is well-defined and integrable. The participants bring up different points and considerations, such as the function being equivalent to x^((n/x)) and the possibility of using the Lebesgue's Dominated Convergence Theorem to show convergence. There is also speculation that it may be a bogus integral given by the colleague.
latyph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
how do i get to solve this integral,i have no idea whatsoever so no one should expect what i have done.it was presented to me by a colleague
[x^(1/x)]^[x^(1/x)]^[x^(1/x)]^[x^(1/x)]^[x^(1/x)]^[x^(1/x)]^[x^(1/x)]...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the integral of that function?
Do you have any reason to believe that function is well-defined, much less integrable?
Does your colleague have a penchant for pulling your leg?

A couple of points: since [itex][x^a]^b= x^{ab}[/itex], [itex][x^{\frac{1}{x}}]^{x^{\frac{1}{x}}}= x^{\frac{2}{x}}[/itex]. In general then, that "stack" of [itex]x^{\frac{1}{x}}[/itex], n times, is the same as [itex]x^{\frac{n}{x}}[/itex] and I see no reason to think that expanding it to infinity will give a function.

Power Tower

This is not well defined, it seems. Consider that [itex]e^{x^{2}}[/itex] is not the same as [itex]\left(e^{x}\right)^{2}=e^{2x}[/itex]. The one way to look at the given function is as a power tower (e.g. [tex]x^{x^{x^{x^{\cdot^{\cdot^{\cdot}}}}}}}[/tex],) see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PowerTower.html for a reference; and another way is as HallsofIvy pointed out. I suppose it would depend on how, that is, by what limiting process, the given integrand is being defined. You might try defining the function as a limit of a sequence of functions, perhaps you can use the Lebesgue's Dominated Convergence Theorem to show convergence of the integral (supposing it's a definite one).

i get the feeling that's a bull**** integral that the 'colleague' gave out...

But Cant The Function Be Resolved To A Definite One That Can Be Integrable

Related to Solve Integral: x^(1/x) to Power of x^(1/x)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. How can I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to understand the fundamental principles and properties of integrals to effectively solve them.

3. What is the function x^(1/x)?

The function x^(1/x) is an exponential function with a variable base (x) and a variable exponent (1/x). It is also known as the power tower function and has a graph that resembles a bell curve.

4. How do I solve the integral of x^(1/x)?

To solve the integral of x^(1/x), you can use the substitution technique by letting u = 1/x. This will transform the integral into a more manageable form, allowing you to use integration by parts to solve it.

5. What is the significance of solving the integral of x^(1/x)?

Solving the integral of x^(1/x) has various applications in mathematics and science, particularly in the field of probability and statistics. It is also used in solving certain types of differential equations and in analyzing the convergence of infinite series.