Solve Linear Algebra Problem with Invertible Matrix - Finding Matrix B(t)

In summary: Close, but no cigar. That's only correct for t=1. Your nilpotent matrix is N={[0,t,0],[0,0,0],[0,0,0]}. What's exp(N)?Aha, of course! I think I see where I went wrong. Is itB(t) = e^{2t}*[{e^{t},t*e^{t},0}{0,e^{t},0}{0,0,1}]?
motherh
Hey guys, I'm having problems with a question.

Let P be an invertible matrix and assume that A = PMP[itex]^{-1}[/itex]. Where M is

M = [{3,1,0}{0,3,0}{0,0,2}]

Find a matrix B(t) such that e[itex]^{tA}[/itex] = PB(t)P[itex]^{-1}[/itex].

Now this might be an easy problem, but I really have no idea what to do because my lecturer is so bad and the book for the course doesn't cover this material.

I have seen something about A= PBP[itex]^{-1}[/itex] implying e[itex]^{tA}[/itex] = Pe[itex]^{tB}[/itex]P[itex]^{-1}[/itex] so I have tried computing the exponential of M, but to no avail. Any advice is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
motherh said:
Hey guys, I'm having problems with a question.

Let P be an invertible matrix and assume that A = PMP[itex]^{-1}[/itex]. Where M is

M = [{3,1,0}{0,3,0}{0,0,2}]

Find a matrix B(t) such that e[itex]^{tA}[/itex] = PB(t)P[itex]^{-1}[/itex].

Now this might be an easy problem, but I really have no idea what to do because my lecturer is so bad and the book for the course doesn't cover this material.

I have seen something about A= PBP[itex]^{-1}[/itex] implying e[itex]^{tA}[/itex] = Pe[itex]^{tB}[/itex]P[itex]^{-1}[/itex] so I have tried computing the exponential of M, but to no avail. Any advice is much appreciated.

Yes, matrix exponential. This problem is fairly easy because you can split Mt into the sum of a diagonal matrix D and an offdiagonal matrix N which is nilpotent. And they commute with each other. So you can use exp(D+N)=exp(D)exp(N). Finding the exponential of each matrix is pretty easy.

Last edited:
Likes 2 people
Thank you so much, you hero! Just to check I haven't gone completely wrong, should I have

B(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]*[{e[itex]^{t}[/itex],e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,0,1}]?

motherh said:
Thank you so much, you hero! Just to check I haven't gone completely wrong, should I have

B(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]*[{e[itex]^{t}[/itex],e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,0,1}]?

Close, but no cigar. That's only correct for t=1. Your nilpotent matrix is N={[0,t,0],[0,0,0],[0,0,0]}. What's exp(N)?

Likes 1 person
Aha, of course! I think I see where I went wrong. Is it

B(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]*[{e[itex]^{t}[/itex],t*e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,0,1}]?

motherh said:
Aha, of course! I think I see where I went wrong. Is it

B(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]*[{e[itex]^{t}[/itex],t*e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,0,1}]?

Yup!

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Related to Solve Linear Algebra Problem with Invertible Matrix - Finding Matrix B(t)

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their operations. It is used to solve problems related to systems of linear equations and to represent and manipulate data in a concise and efficient manner.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in many fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems and analyzing large datasets. It also forms the basis for advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields. It is used in computer graphics and image processing, machine learning and data analysis, optimization and control systems, and cryptography. It also has applications in physics, chemistry, and economics.

4. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

Some of the basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to represent and manipulate data, solve equations, and analyze relationships between variables.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. You can also read textbooks, watch online tutorials and lectures, and participate in group discussions or study groups. Additionally, it can be helpful to apply linear algebra concepts to real-world problems to gain a deeper understanding of their applications.