Solve Neutron Flux Problem with 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na Reaction

In summary, the problem at hand involves monitoring a 3 GeV proton flux using induced 24Na activity in an aluminum foil. The net counting rate, corrected for efficiency, is 12355 counts per second, and the activity at the end of the bombardment is 24710 counts per second. By converting the areal density of the foil to number of atoms and using the cross section, the number of protons that interacted with the foil can be calculated. From there, the actual counts from induced activity can be found and used to calculate the number of 24Na atoms. Finally, the number of 24Na atoms and the number of protons can be used to determine the average proton flux through the sample during the
coregis
Hello. I'm a little unsure of how to proceed on this problem... Here it is:

A 3-Gev proton flux is monitored by measuring 24Na activity induced in 25 microm (6.85 microg/cm2) aluminum foil via 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction (for 3 Gev protons, cross section = 9.1 mb). Exactly 15 hr after the end of 15-minute irradiation, the activity in the aluminum monitor is measured with a calibrated end-window counter (efficiency= 0.037 in the geometrical arrangement used). The net counting rate is 27,430 counts/min. What is the average proton flux through the sample during the irradiation?

So what I did first was correct for efficiency and found the actual counts to be 741351 cpm or 12355 cps.

Then since the count was made 15 hrs after bombardment, the activity at the end of the bombardment was 24710 cps.

At this point, I'm stuck because I don't know how to handle the areal density and convert it into the number of atoms in the beam. Can this problem even be solved without knowing the area of the beam? I pretty sure I need to find the number of atoms of Co that are in the beam, right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question and for providing all the necessary information. Based on the given data, I believe the problem can be solved without knowing the area of the beam. Let me explain my approach to solving this problem:

1. Convert the areal density of the aluminum foil (25 microm or 6.85 microg/cm2) to number of atoms using the equation: N = (ρ * A * NA) / M, where N is the number of atoms, ρ is the density of aluminum (2.7 g/cm3), A is the areal density, NA is Avogadro's number (6.02x1023 atoms/mol), and M is the molar mass of aluminum (27 g/mol). This will give you the number of aluminum atoms in the foil.

2. Use the cross section (9.1 mb) and the number of aluminum atoms to calculate the number of 3 GeV protons that interacted with the foil during the 15-minute irradiation. This can be done using the equation: Np = NAl * σ, where Np is the number of protons, NAl is the number of aluminum atoms, and σ is the cross section.

3. Convert the counts per minute (cpm) to counts per second (cps) by dividing by 60. Then, subtract the background counts (24710 cps) from the net counting rate (12355 cps) to get the actual counts from the induced 24Na activity.

4. Use the equation: A = λ * N, where A is the activity, λ is the decay constant of 24Na (0.0052 min-1), and N is the number of 24Na atoms. Rearrange the equation to solve for N.

5. Finally, use the number of 24Na atoms and the number of protons calculated in step 2 to find the average proton flux through the sample during the irradiation. This can be done using the equation: φ = Np / t, where φ is the proton flux, Np is the number of protons, and t is the irradiation time in seconds (15 minutes = 900 seconds).

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your progress on this problem. It seems like you have made some good initial steps in solving it. I understand your confusion about the areal density and the number of atoms in the beam. Let me try to provide some guidance on how to proceed.

Firstly, you are correct that the areal density is needed in order to calculate the number of atoms in the beam. The areal density is a measure of the number of atoms in a unit area, and it is usually expressed in atoms/cm2. In this case, the areal density of the aluminum foil is given as 6.85 microg/cm2. We can use this value to calculate the number of aluminum atoms in the foil.

To do this, we can use the atomic mass of aluminum (27 g/mol) to convert the areal density from micrograms to grams. This gives us a total mass of 0.00000685 g of aluminum in the foil. Next, we can use the atomic weight of aluminum (27 g/mol) to calculate the number of moles of aluminum in the foil. This gives us a value of 2.54 x 10^-7 moles of aluminum.

Finally, we can use Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 atoms/mol) to convert the number of moles to the number of atoms. This gives us a total of 1.53 x 10^17 aluminum atoms in the foil.

Now that we have the number of aluminum atoms in the foil, we can use the cross section of the reaction (9.1 mb) to calculate the number of 24Na atoms produced. The cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a reaction occurring, and it is usually expressed in millibarns (mb). To calculate the number of 24Na atoms, we can use the following equation:

Number of 24Na atoms = cross section x number of aluminum atoms

Substituting the values we have calculated, we get:

Number of 24Na atoms = 9.1 mb x 1.53 x 10^17 atoms = 1.39 x 10^18 24Na atoms

Now that we have the number of 24Na atoms produced, we can use the decay equation to calculate the initial activity at the end of the bombardment. The decay equation is given by:

Activity = initial activity x e^(-lambda x

Related to Solve Neutron Flux Problem with 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na Reaction

1. What is the purpose of solving the neutron flux problem with the 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction?

The purpose of solving this problem is to understand the behavior of neutrons and their interactions within a system. The 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction is a commonly used tool in neutron flux measurements, which are important for various applications in nuclear physics, material science, and medical imaging.

2. How is the 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction used to measure neutron flux?

The 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction involves the interaction of a proton beam with an aluminum target, leading to the production of neutrons. By measuring the number of neutrons produced and their energy distribution, the neutron flux can be determined.

3. What are the factors that affect the accuracy of solving the neutron flux problem with the 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction?

The accuracy of the measurement depends on various factors such as the energy and intensity of the proton beam, the purity and thickness of the aluminum target, and the detection efficiency and resolution of the neutron detector used.

4. How does the 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction differ from other reactions used for neutron flux measurements?

The 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction is a (p,n) reaction, where a proton is absorbed by the target nucleus and a neutron is emitted. This reaction has a relatively high cross-section and produces a well-defined energy spectrum, making it a preferred reaction for neutron flux measurements compared to other reactions.

5. What are the potential applications of solving the neutron flux problem with the 27Al(p, 3pn)24Na reaction?

This reaction can be used for a wide range of applications such as monitoring and controlling nuclear reactors, studying the properties of materials under neutron irradiation, and producing medical isotopes for cancer treatment. It can also help in understanding fundamental nuclear physics processes and in the development of new technologies.