Solve Notation Puzzle: Vertical Bars in Equations Homework

In summary, the author of the paper cites a source, looks up information about a mathematical function, and tries to figure out how to solve the equation.
Aaerion

Homework Statement

illW9X5.png

I have these two equations from this paper: https://www.scribd.com/doc/299960566/Spiral

Homework Equations

What are the vertical bars next to the drawn red starts supposed to indicate in this context?

I'm trying to implement these equations into a program but I'm totally lost. I have no idea what's up with those vertical bars next to the red stars that I drew. Is it supposed to be the terms evaluated at (j+1-rtheta)? If so, then what variable is it even being plugged into (r or theta)?

The Attempt at a Solution

Googling and asking my professor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aaerion said:

Homework Statement

illW9X5.png

I have these two equations from this paper: https://www.scribd.com/doc/299960566/Spiral

Homework Equations

What are the vertical bars next to the drawn red starts supposed to indicate in this context?
Vertical bars like that usually mean at what value the quantity to the left is evaluated at. The summation looks screwy to me, though, as the sum runs from j = 1 to j - 1, which doesn't make sense. If it had been written like what's below, that would make more sense to me.
$$\sum_{j = 1}^{J - 1} \dots$$
I.e., not reusing j (lower case) as both the index of the sum and the ending point.

The author of the paper you're citing is an MD, so I suspect that he is not as able as he could be to communicate mathematical equations.
Aaerion said:
I'm trying to implement these equations into a program but I'm totally lost. I have no idea what's up with those vertical bars next to the red stars that I drew. Is it supposed to be the terms evaluated at (j+1-rtheta)? If so, then what variable is it even being plugged into (r or theta)?

The Attempt at a Solution

Googling and asking my professor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked up zero crossing function in general and I think I figured it out. From what I can understand, the summation should actually be from j=1 to J-1. Furthermore, inside the sign functions, the average slope is subtracted from the slope at points j+1 and j respectively. Doing this will allow me to determine how many times the slope crosses its mean during data collection.

Aaerion said:
I just looked up zero crossing function in general and I think I figured it out. From what I can understand, the summation should actually be from j=1 to J-1.
That makes much more sense.
Aaerion said:
Furthermore, inside the sign functions, the average slope is subtracted from the slope at points j+1 and j respectively. Doing this will allow me to determine how many times the slope crosses its mean during data collection.

Related to Solve Notation Puzzle: Vertical Bars in Equations Homework

1. What is the purpose of vertical bars in equations?

The vertical bars, also known as absolute value symbols, indicate the magnitude or distance of a number from zero on a number line. It essentially gives the positive value of a number, regardless of its original sign.

2. How do you solve equations with vertical bars?

To solve equations with vertical bars, you can first isolate the expression within the bars and then remove the bars by considering both the positive and negative value of the expression. The resulting equation can then be solved using standard algebraic techniques.

3. Can vertical bars be used in more complex equations?

Yes, vertical bars can be used in more complex equations involving multiple expressions within the bars. In these cases, the absolute value of each expression should be calculated separately and then combined using the appropriate mathematical operations.

4. Are there any special rules for using vertical bars in equations?

One special rule to keep in mind when using vertical bars is that when the absolute value expression is set equal to a negative number, there will be no solution. This is because an absolute value cannot be negative.

5. How can solving notation puzzles with vertical bars be helpful in real-world applications?

Solving notation puzzles with vertical bars can be helpful in real-world applications where there is a need to represent the distance between two points. For example, in physics, the absolute value of displacement or velocity can be used to determine the magnitude of motion without considering direction.