I'm not sure what you are asking here. Could you clarify?

• Thread starter Merlin3189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used for binomial coefficients and how it is related to calculating the number of equally likely ways data could be assigned under a certain hypothesis. The notation uses brackets and braces to represent the combinations and binomial coefficients, and it is explained that the notation is not standard but still commonly used. The conversation also includes an example of evaluating the notation and a link to more information on binomial coefficients.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Edit = Solved. My error.
1- ##\Big( \frac {n_1 +n_2}{n_1} \Big)## in Siegel,S "Nonparametric Statistics" P.153 re. Randomization test for 2 independant samples.
eg. ##\Big( \frac {4 + 5}{4} \Big) = 126##
Used in calculating number of "equally likely ways" data could have been assigned under H0
The brackets seem to be in heavier type and larger than BODMAS brackets.

So what does this notation mean? How do I evaluate it?

I should say I am not a mathematician, though I do have access to a retired A-level teacher, who has not been able to enlighten me. I do have A-level maths (but Pure with Mechanics, rather than Stats) and have used Siegel as a recipe book for doing stats in behavioural science. I don't remember using this test before, but its description seems appropriate to my data. It's simply that I can't evaluate his formula, because I don't recognise the notation.

2-Relevant nCr = ##\frac{n!}{r! (n-r)!}##
eg. 5C4=##\frac{5!}{4!1!}##=5

nPr = ##\frac{n!}{ (n-r)!}##
eg. 5P4 = ##\frac{5!}{ (1!}## = 120

Binomial Coefft = ##\frac{n!}{k! (n-k)!}##
which looks remarkably like nCk

n! = n(n-1)(n-2)...1 eg. 5!=5x4x3x2x1 = 120

rn = r*r*r*r... n times eg. 54=5x5x5x5=625

3-attempts
Searched Google for Math notation re. brackets and braces.
Found examples of its use for Combinations and for Binomial Coeffts.
Evaluated
5C4=##\frac{5!}{4!1!}##=5
9C4=##\frac{9!}{4!1!}##= 9x8x7x6x5 > 126 EDIT - Error!
9C5=##\frac{9!}{5!1!}##= 9x8x7x6 > 126 EDIT - Error!

Could not work out a different result for Bin(4+5,4 or 5) because it just seemed to be the same as the combinations.

Factorised 126 = 2 x 3 x 3 x7 (maybe = 3! x (3-2)! x 7! / 6! ?)

I suppose I could work out the number of ways I think the data (9 items in the example) could be assigned to 2 groups (of 4 and 5), but I suspect I'd arrive at
nCr again.

In the group of 5, there are 9 choices for 1st position, 8 for next, ..
= 9x8x7x6 = 3024
Once these are assigned, all the rest must be in the group of 5.
--------------------
There are 9 data, each can be in one of two groups, so
2 choices for first, 2 choices for second, ...
= 2x2x2...= 2^9= 512 ways of assigning 9 data to 2 groups, from AAAAAAAAA to BBBBBBBBB via for eg. AABBABABB
But only 4 can be in one group and 5 in the other, so I should reduce this.
I need to count only AAAABBBBB , BABABABAB, etc and discard AAAAABBBB, AAAAAAAAA, AAAAAAAAB etc.
So I can discard
1 like AAAAAAAAA and 1 like BBBBBBBBB
9 like ABBBBBBBB and 9 like BAAAAAAAA
36 like AABBBBBBB and 36 like BBAAAAAAA
84 like AAABBBBBB and 84 like BBBAAAAAA
and 126 like BBBBAAAAA

Total 386, leaving 512-386= 126 as required

So I'm happy that he got the correct result, but how did he calculate it from (5+4)/5 or from (5+4)/4 ?

I ended up using 2^(5+4) - 2xC(9,0) -2xC(9,1) -2xC(9,2) -2x(9,3) -2xC(9,4) -C(9,5) which is cumbersome to say the least.
Since he uses this weird notation, it seems likely that it is a well known function.

And since when I come to apply it, I have 65 data in groups of 17 and 48, my ab initio process will be tedious! If I understood his method (hidden in this bracket notation) perhaps it would help me see something I have not observed.
I understand that if, I want to be a mathematician, I must work out everything from first axioms and build my own framework, but I'm just trying to evaluate my data. Much as I'd love to be a mathematician, I don't think I have the time.

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've simply got a non-standard notation for binomial coefficients.

I learned these as ##^nC_r## but ##\binom{n}{r}## seems to be more common.

##\binom{5+4}{4} = \binom{9}{4} = 126##

Rathers gives it away.

There's more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_coefficient

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry, I just miscalculated when I evaluated it, or I would have realized that's what it meant.
I wish I could delete it!

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways of arranging objects, but the key difference is that permutations take into account the order of the objects while combinations do not. For example, the permutations of the letters "ABC" would include "ABC," "ACB," "BAC," and so on, while the combinations would only include "ABC," "ACB," and "BAC."

2. How do you calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen. For example, if there are 5 people and you want to know how many ways they can be arranged in a line, you would use the formula 5P5 = 5! / (5-5)! = 5! / 0! = 5! = 120 ways.

3. How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen. For example, if there are 5 people and you want to know how many ways you can choose 3 of them to form a team, you would use the formula 5C3 = 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 5! / (3!2!) = 10 ways.

4. Can permutations and combinations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. They can be used to analyze data, create secure passwords, and calculate probabilities in experiments.

5. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination with repetition?

A permutation with repetition is when an object can be chosen more than once in a single arrangement. For example, the permutations of the letters "AAB" would include "AAB," "ABA," and "BAA." A combination with repetition is when an object can be chosen more than once in a group. For example, if you have 3 flavors of ice cream and want to know how many different 2-scoop cones you can make, that would be a combination with repetition. The formula for a combination with repetition is (n+r-1)Cr.