Solve Physics Problems with Help from Experts | Physics HELP! PLSSS!

• Thread starter cseet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is requesting help with two physics questions. The first question involves finding the power dissipated in a heater with a changed potential difference, and the second question involves finding the charge on a capacitor after a certain amount of time has passed. The expert provides guidance and solutions for both questions.
cseet
HELP! PLSSS! - Physics

Hi All,
I badly need helpwith the below 2 questions... as for question 2, I worked out part a-c but I'm unable to complete part d... pls help and correct me if I am wrong.

really appreciate it!

cseet

1. A 125 W heater is designed to operate with an emf of 120 V.
Find the approximate power dissipated in the heater if the potential difference is decreased to 112 V. (Unit: W)

can somebody help me up with this?

2. A 5.2 F capacitor is charged to 1.4E2 V and is then connected across a 4.5E2 resistor. Answer the following questions:
All answers must have three significant digits unless otherwise specified.

(a) What is the initial charge on the capacitor? (Unit: microcoulombs, uC)
answer: 728 uC

(b) What is the initial current just after the capacitor is connected to the resistor? (Unit: milliamperes, mA)
answer: 311 mA

(c) What is the time constant of this circuit? (Unit: milliseconds, ms)
answer: 2.34 ms

but I'm Stuck on this question...
(d) How much charge is on the capacitor after 5.1 ms? (Unit: microcoulombs, uC)
can somebody help me up with this??

thanks again!
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1: First find the resistance of the heater using the rated values for power and voltage. Now find the new power dissipated when the voltage is reduced.

For #2d: You found the time constant Τ, now use it. The charge at time t is: Q = Q0e(-t/Τ).

re

Hi Doc Al,

thanks so much! you're a gem!
cseet

Related to Solve Physics Problems with Help from Experts | Physics HELP! PLSSS!

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. How is physics related to other sciences?

Physics is considered the most fundamental of all the sciences because it provides the foundation for understanding and explaining the behavior of matter and energy in all other natural sciences, such as chemistry, biology, and geology.

3. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These branches cover a wide range of topics, including motion, forces, electricity, magnetism, heat, light, and the structure of matter.

4. Why is physics important?

Physics is essential in our everyday lives because it helps us understand the world around us and provides the basis for many modern technologies. It also plays a crucial role in advancing other fields, such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice problem-solving and critical thinking. You can also supplement your learning by reading textbooks, watching educational videos, and participating in hands-on experiments and demonstrations.