Solve Redox Titration Problem w/ NaNO2 & KMnO4 - Help Needed!

• Thread starter Kail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the conversation revolves around a chemistry problem involving a titration of potassium permanganate solution with acidified sodium nitrate solution. The goal is to calculate the molar concentration of sodium nitrate. The steps mentioned include balancing the equation, calculating the moles of permanganate used, and using stoichiometric calculations to find the amount of nitrate. The final step is to divide the number of moles by the volume to obtain the molar concentration. The person asking for help is struggling with understanding the process and asks for clarification.
Kail
I have many problesm with this question. Can somone help me please?

In a titration of patasium permanganate soloution with acidified sodium nitrate solution

MnO4- + BO2- H+ -----> Mn+2 + NO3- +H2O

45 ml of 0.05M of KMnO4 reacts complitely with 20.0 mL of NaNO2 solution.

Calculate the molat concentration of sodium nitrate.

Please give me a hand with this. I relly need help to pass my chimetry curse.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must start with balanced equation. Once it is balanced calculate number of moles permanganate used and stoichiometric amount of sodium nitrate. Latter divided by 0.02L will give you concentration.

Sorry but I kinda dontt understand how to get the stoichiometric amount of sodium nitrate. And what do I have to divide by 0.02L. Sorry it's just I kinda not that good at chemestry.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Redox Titration Problem w/ NaNO2 & KMnO4 - Help Needed!

What is a redox titration problem?

A redox titration problem involves the use of two substances, usually an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent, to determine the concentration of a third substance. In this case, the substances are NaNO2 (sodium nitrite) and KMnO4 (potassium permanganate), and the objective is to find the concentration of an unknown substance.

How does redox titration work?

In redox titration, the known oxidizing agent is added to a solution containing the unknown substance, causing a reaction to occur. The oxidizing agent will be reduced, while the unknown substance will be oxidized. The amount of oxidizing agent used can then be used to calculate the concentration of the unknown substance.

What is the role of NaNO2 and KMnO4 in this problem?

NaNO2 and KMnO4 are the oxidizing and reducing agents used in this redox titration problem. NaNO2 is the known oxidizing agent and KMnO4 is the known reducing agent. By measuring the amount of KMnO4 used, we can determine the concentration of the unknown substance.

What is the chemical reaction involved in this problem?

The chemical reaction in this problem is a redox reaction, where the oxidizing agent (NaNO2) will react with the reducing agent (KMnO4) to form new products and transfer electrons. The specific equation for this reaction is NaNO2 + 2KMnO4 + 2H2O → 2MnO2 + 2KNO3 + 2NaOH + 3O2.

How do I solve this redox titration problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to know the volume and concentration of the known oxidizing agent (NaNO2) and the volume of the unknown substance. You will also need to perform a series of calculations using the balanced chemical equation and the molar ratios between the substances. It may be helpful to refer to a redox titration calculator or consult a chemistry textbook for step-by-step instructions.