Solve rolling problem using concept of angular momentum

In summary, In order to solve this problem, the student had to use two equations and conservation of angular momentum. However, the instructor told them that they cannot apply conservation of angular momentum because the point where the force is acting doesn't exist on the surface at the moment of friction.
guthix

Homework Statement

A ball of mass M and radius R initially slides with speed vo but without rotating on a horizontal surface with friction.
Without knowing anything about the nature of the frictional force, find the speed of the ball when it begins to roll without slipping.

Homework Equations

moment of inertia of ball = (2/5)MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i try to solve the problem by setting up two equations
(1) v = vo - ft/M
(2) w = (5/2) ft/MR
and eliminating t to get v(final)=(5/7)vo

then i thought that if i know nothing about friction, i shouldn't have use "f" as well
and i tried to use another method to solve the problem by conservation of angular momentum

M(vo)R = MvR + Iw
substituting the final condition v=Rw
i still got v(final)=(5/7)vo

but my instructor told me that i can't apply conservation of angular momentum in this case
i was confused, even i use this method, i couldn't explain why this is correct
(i have used this method to solve many rolling problems and it gives at least "correct value of required answer" every time)

can anyone comment on the method i use?

Physics news on Phys.org
guthix said:
then i thought that if i know nothing about friction, i shouldn't have use "f" as well
You may not know the value of the friction force or coefficient of friction, but you know that it exists. There's nothing wrong with calling it 'f'.

but my instructor told me that i can't apply conservation of angular momentum in this case
Did he give a reason why you can't apply it? There's nothing wrong with using conservation of angular momentum about some stationary point on the surface. (The torque due to friction will be zero about that point.)

Doc Al said:
Did he give a reason why you can't apply it? There's nothing wrong with using conservation of angular momentum about some stationary point on the surface. (The torque due to friction will be zero about that point.)
i told him if i take moment at the contact point then there is no external torque, and he ask me whether "that point" is moving or not, i don't know why he ask for this, i have never think about this so i didn't answer.

other classmates challenged me that "as the ball is rolling, the point does not exist on the surface; and the ball is sliding as well, the point does not exist on the ball, so, there exists no point that i take moment about."

then they began to talk about Coriolis force and I'm not familiar with that...

quite confused after listening to their arguments...

ps. i tried to compare conservation of linear momentum and angular momentum
when there is friction, for linear momentum
if we consider Earth in our system as well, linear momentum would then conserve
but for angular momentum
do i need to consider the Earth as well?
then my method seems to be incorrect by simply taking moment about the contact point...

guthix said:
i told him if i take moment at the contact point then there is no external torque, and he ask me whether "that point" is moving or not, i don't know why he ask for this, i have never think about this so i didn't answer.
The contact point is accelerating, so that's not a good point to use.

other classmates challenged me that "as the ball is rolling, the point does not exist on the surface; and the ball is sliding as well, the point does not exist on the ball, so, there exists no point that i take moment about."
You can take moments about any fixed point on the surface.

Doc Al said:
You can take moments about any fixed point on the surface.
you mean...i can take moment about, say, the initial contact point?

i just think it is difficult to understand, even the line of action of friction passes through it, i can't treat it as no external torque because the point is no longer related to the rotational motion of the ball...

and the ball is not rotating about any fixed point on the surface, i can still take moment about those points to solve the problem?

guthix said:
you mean...i can take moment about, say, the initial contact point?
Yes.
i just think it is difficult to understand, even the line of action of friction passes through it, i can't treat it as no external torque because the point is no longer related to the rotational motion of the ball...
I don't understand what you're saying. If you take the initial contact point as your axis, the torque due to friction will be zero.

and the ball is not rotating about any fixed point on the surface, i can still take moment about those points to solve the problem?
Sure.

um...then my method of using M(vo)R = MvR + Iw should be interpreted as "take moment about the initial contact point", right?

guthix said:
um...then my method of using M(vo)R = MvR + Iw should be interpreted as "take moment about the initial contact point", right?
Yes. If you take moments about the initial contact point (or any other fixed point on the surface), you'll get zero--which means that the angular momentum about that point is conserved.

You are adding two components to get the total angular momentum: Angular momentum of the center of mass about the axis plus the angular momentum about the center of mass.

Doc Al said:
Yes. If you take moments about the initial contact point (or any other fixed point on the surface), you'll get zero--which means that the angular momentum about that point is conserved.

You are adding two components to get the total angular momentum: Angular momentum of the center of mass about the axis plus the angular momentum about the center of mass.
wow, thanks very much
(i think) I've understand the problem

just one more minor question
for similar reason, is the total angular momentum of the Earth = angular momentum of Earth's CM about the Sun + angular momentum about the Earth's CM ?

guthix said:
just one more minor question
for similar reason, is the total angular momentum of the Earth = angular momentum of Earth's CM about the Sun + angular momentum about the Earth's CM ?
Yes. That's the total angular momentum of the Earth with respect to the Sun.

Doc Al said:
Yes. That's the total angular momentum of the Earth with respect to the Sun.
got it~thanks again :)

Related to Solve rolling problem using concept of angular momentum

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant rate. It is a vector quantity that depends on both an object's mass and its rotational velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to rolling?

In the case of rolling, the object's angular momentum is directly related to its linear momentum, which is the product of its mass and linear velocity. This relationship is described by the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as no external torque is applied.

3. How can the concept of angular momentum be used to solve rolling problems?

To solve rolling problems, we can use the equations of motion for angular momentum, which take into account the initial angular momentum of the object, any external torques acting on the object, and the moment of inertia of the rolling object. By setting up and solving these equations, we can determine the final state of the rolling object.

4. What are some common applications of using angular momentum to solve rolling problems?

Some common applications of solving rolling problems using the concept of angular momentum include analyzing the motion of objects like wheels, disks, and spheres rolling on a surface, as well as understanding the behavior of objects like tops and gyroscopes.

5. Are there any limitations to using the concept of angular momentum to solve rolling problems?

While the concept of angular momentum is a useful tool for solving rolling problems, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the object is rolling without slipping, and does not take into account factors like friction or air resistance, which can affect the motion of a rolling object in real-world situations.