Solve Shear Stress Qn: Mx,My,Mz, Mc,I,J, VQ,It

In summary, the conversation involves the calculation of normal and shear stress caused by bending and torsional moments. The correct answer for the normal stress is 47.7MPa, but there is an error in the calculation of the shear stress. The correct value for the shear stress is 1.06 MPa. The error is due to a math mistake in the calculation of Q, which should be equal to 2r^3/3.
Solidsam

Homework Statement

26eyH.png

Homework Equations

Mx=200Nm

My=300Nm

Mz=600Nm

Normal stress caused by bending moment at A = Mc/I = (300*0.02)/((pi*0.02^4)/4)= 47.7MPa. This answer is correct.

Shear stress by Torsional Moment=Tc/J

Polar moment of inertia J=(pi/2)*c^4

So I did (600*0.02)/((pi*0.02^4)/2)= 47.7MPa Is this correct?

&

VQ/It=1000*((4*0.02)/3*pi)*((pi*0.02^2))/(1.257*10^-7*0.04)=10.47 MPa Is this correct?

One of the stress calculations is wrong beacuse when added that should equal 48.8 MPa

So what I'm I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
it appears you calculated Q incorrectly, ormade a math error, one or the other. The Q of a semicircle about its base is 2r^3/3

PhanthomJay said:
it appears you calculated Q incorrectly, ormade a math error, one or the other. The Q of a semicircle about its base is 2r^3/3

Is Q not =y bar prime * A prime = 4r/3pi * (pi*r^2)/2 ?

Solidsam said:
Is Q not =y bar prime * A prime = 4r/3pi * (pi*r^2)/2 ?
certainly, which simplifies to 2r^3/3. So you have made a math error...you
forgot to divide by 2 when determing area of semicircle...and some other calculation error..try again and you should get the correct shear stress as 1.06 MPa

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem and showing your calculations. It is always important to check our work and make sure our calculations are accurate. In this case, there are a few things that could be causing the discrepancy in your final answer of 48.8 MPa.

Firstly, it is important to note that the units for shear stress are different from those for normal stress. While normal stress is measured in MPa (megapascals), shear stress is measured in N/m^2 (newtons per square meter). This means that your final answers for shear stress should have different units than your final answer for normal stress.

Secondly, I would recommend double checking your calculations for the polar moment of inertia (J) and the second moment of area (I). These values are crucial in determining the shear stress and can greatly affect the final answer if calculated incorrectly.

Lastly, I would suggest reviewing the equations and making sure you are using the correct values for each variable. It is easy to mix up values or use the wrong formula, so it is always a good idea to double check.

I hope this helps you in solving the shear stress problem. Keep up the good work and always double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Related to Solve Shear Stress Qn: Mx,My,Mz, Mc,I,J, VQ,It

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that acts parallel to the surface of a material.

What are Mx, My, and Mz in the context of shear stress?

Mx, My, and Mz are the moments of the shear force about the x, y, and z axes, respectively. They represent the tendency of an external force to rotate a material around a specific axis.

What is Mc in relation to shear stress?

Mc, also known as the critical moment, is the maximum moment that a material can withstand before it experiences failure due to shear stress.

How are I and J related to shear stress?

I and J are the area moment of inertia and polar moment of inertia, respectively. They represent the resistance of a material to bending and torsion, which are two common causes of shear stress.

What is the difference between VQ and It in terms of shear stress?

VQ and It are both measures of shear stress, but they are calculated using different methods. VQ is calculated using the shear flow and the first moment of area, while It is calculated using the shear stress and the polar moment of inertia.