Solve Tension Problem: 2 Objects in 350N Rope, Answer 25s

• Thread starter iwan97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves two objects (2kg and 3kg) attached by a rope that can withstand a maximum tension force of 350N. The forces acting on the objects change with time (F=k*t) where k=10N/s. The question asks for the amount of time it takes for the rope to break. After attempting the solution, it is determined that the problem statement may contain errors and does not have a solution that matches the given information.
iwan97

Homework Statement

Two objects (2kg and 3kg) are attached by a rope which can withstand maximum tension force of 350N. Forces acting on objects change with time (F=k*t) where k=10N/s.
After how many seconds will rope break. Solution is 25s.
Capture.PNG

3. Attempt at the solution:

I have tried everything but I can't figure it out. Only thing I was able to calculate was acceleration , a=FT/m1+m2, a=70m/s2 but I don't think it's correct.

P.S. Sorry for my english, its not my native language.

Physics news on Phys.org
iwan97 said:

Homework Statement

Two objects (2kg and 3kg) are attached by a rope which can withstand maximum tension force of 350N. Forces acting on objects change with time (F=k*t) where k=10N/s.
After how many seconds will rope break. Solution is 25s.
View attachment 112614

3. Attempt at the solution:

I have tried everything but I can't figure it out. Only thing I was able to calculate was acceleration , a=FT/m1+m2, a=70m/s2 but I don't think it's correct.

P.S. Sorry for my english, its not my native language.
I do not understand the problem description/diagram.
The diagram shows three forces (F). The middle and right ones have the same subscript, either 2 or z, but the left one looks different. The left and right ones have marked directions, left and right respectively, but the middle one does not.
Which are actual applied forces, and are they equal in magnitude at all times?

haruspex said:
I do not understand the problem description/diagram.
The diagram shows three forces (F). The middle and right ones have the same subscript, either 2 or z, but the left one looks different. The left and right ones have marked directions, left and right respectively, but the middle one does not.
Which are actual applied forces, and are they equal in magnitude at all times?

Middle one is Fz or tension force, left one is F1, right one is F2. In the middle there is an x sign which is just representing breaking I guess.

iwan97 said:
Middle one is Fz or tension force, left one is F1, right one is F2. In the middle there is an x sign which is just representing breaking I guess.
Are F1 and F2 both =kt, same k? If so, why would there be any acceleration?

Yes for both forces =kt. I have no idea really how to start. I know how to work out standard tension problems but this one is really difficult.

Can you verify that the problem is stated correctly. Something doesn't seem right. At 25 seconds, if F = kt, where k = 10, the force(s) would only be 250 N. How could the rope break with 250 N of force?

P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.
P.S.S. I think your english is very good.

iwan97 said:
Yes for both forces =kt. I have no idea really how to start. I know how to work out standard tension problems but this one is really difficult.
If the two applied forces are equal and opposite then there is no acceleration. It will take 35 s to reach 350N.

TomHart said:
P.S.S. I think your english is very good.
pps. (Smiley)

Likes TomHart
I can get the desired answer if F1=kt and F2=2kt.

Likes gneill and TomHart
I'll try to translate the problem one more time.

Two objects (2kg and 3kg) are attached by a rope which can withstand maximum tension force of 350N. (I hope this part is clear)
Forces are acting on objects and their intensity change with time F=kt, where k is constant (10 N/s). Calculate the length of time from the beginning of the movement until rope breaks.

iwan97 said:
I'll try to translate the problem one more time.

Two objects (2kg and 3kg) are attached by a rope which can withstand maximum tension force of 350N. (I hope this part is clear)
Forces are acting on objects and their intensity change with time F=kt, where k is constant (10 N/s). Calculate the length of time from the beginning of the movement until rope breaks.
As I indicated, it cannot be that the two forces are supposed to be the same. There would be no acceleration, so it becomes a trivial problem with a different answer.

Are there two forces or three forces? Is that force shown between the two masses an externally applied force, or is it just a confusing way of showing that there is tension in the rope.

There 2 forces and in the middle is tension force.

Is there any way you can get 25s ?

iwan97 said:
There 2 forces and in the middle is tension force.

Is there any way you can get 25s ?
There are two ways already mentioned:
1) There is an error in the problem statement where the maximum tension is actually 250 N instead of 350 N, and
2) There is an error in the problem statement where F1 is not equal to F2 but rather F2 = 2F1 where F1 = kt.

Otherwise the problem does not have a solution that matches what is given.

gneill said:
There are two ways already mentioned:
1) There is an error in the problem statement where the maximum tension is actually 250 N instead of 350 N, and
2) There is an error in the problem statement where F1 is not equal to F2 but rather F2 = 2F1 where F1 = kt.

Otherwise the problem does not have a solution that matches what is given.
In that case thanks for help. I guess there's just something wrong with the problem then.

Likes gneill

Related to Solve Tension Problem: 2 Objects in 350N Rope, Answer 25s

1. How do you calculate tension in a rope?

To calculate tension in a rope, you can use the formula T = F/L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the rope. In this case, the tension would be 350N/25s = 14N.

2. What are the units of tension?

The units of tension are typically measured in Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units for tension include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg).

3. How does the tension change when the force or length of the rope is altered?

The tension in a rope is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to the length of the rope. This means that if the force applied increases, the tension will also increase. Similarly, if the length of the rope decreases, the tension will increase.

4. Is there a maximum tension that a rope can withstand?

Yes, every rope has a maximum tension that it can withstand before breaking. This is known as the breaking strength or tensile strength of the rope and is typically indicated by the manufacturer. It is important to never exceed the maximum tension of a rope to avoid accidents.

5. How can tension problems be solved in real-life applications?

In real-life applications, tension problems can be solved by carefully considering all the forces acting on the rope and using the appropriate formulas to calculate the tension. It is also important to take into account any external factors, such as friction, that may affect the tension in the rope.