Solve the second-order differential equation

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for their solution to be checked and receiving guidance on how to do so. The person then makes a mistake in their answer, which is pointed out by the other person. They then correct their mistake and are asked to double check their solution.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

Capture.png

Homework Equations

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

gif.gif

Can someone check my answer please ?

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 492
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    763 bytes · Views: 474
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fatima:

I suggest you take your solution
y(x) = x2 - (1/3)x-1
and calculate y'(x) and y"(x).
Then substitute these three functions of x into corresponding terms of the original equation. After the substitution, the resulting equation should be reducible to
0 = 0​
if your and answer is correct.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
the resulting equation should be reducible to
0 = 0
I didn't get this equation , can you tell me where is my mistake please ?

Fatima Hasan said:
I didn't get this equation , can you tell me where is my mistake please ?
Your answer for ##y_2(x)## in the next-to-last line in post #1 is incorrect. Check the integration that you did.

Mark44 said:
Your answer for ##y_2(x)## in the next-to-last line in post #1 is incorrect. Check the integration that you did.
##y_2(x) = x(x-\frac{1}{x})##
##y_2(x) = x^2-1##
##y(x) = C_1 y_1(x) + C_2y_2(x)##
##y(x) = C1 x + C_2 (x^2-1)##

Fatima Hasan said:
##y_2(x) = x(x-\frac{1}{x})##
##y_2(x) = x^2-1##
##y(x) = C_1 y_1(x) + C_2y_2(x)##
##y(x) = C1 x + C_2 (x^2-1)##
OK, now can you check that your solution is correct?

Mark44 said:
OK, now can you check that your solution is correct?
Got it , thank you.

FAQ: Solve the second-order differential equation

1. What is a second-order differential equation?

A second-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of physical systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a second-order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving a second-order differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using the method of undetermined coefficients. The method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is the general solution to a second-order differential equation?

The general solution to a second-order differential equation is the most general form of the solution that satisfies the equation. It typically contains two arbitrary constants, which can be determined by applying the initial conditions.

4. What are the initial conditions in a second-order differential equation?

The initial conditions in a second-order differential equation refer to the values of the function and its first derivative at a specific point. These conditions are used to find the particular solution that satisfies the equation.

5. Can a second-order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second-order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution contains two arbitrary constants, which can take on different values depending on the initial conditions. However, the particular solution determined by the initial conditions is unique.

Back