Finding the Total Number of Sheep in a Circular Pen

• Thread starter vorcil
  • Start date
In summary, Sheep are collected in a circular pen in such a way that the number per unit area at radius r is given byn(r) = \frac{N_{0}}{\pi} (R - r)where R = 10, and N0 = 0.3m^-3.Find the Total number of sheep in the pen (round your answer to the nearest integer)There are 100 sheep in the pen.
vorcil

Homework Statement

Sheep are collected in a circular pen in such a way that the number per unit area at radius r is given by

[tex] n(r) = \frac{N_{0}}{\pi} (R - r)[/tex]

Where R = 10, and N0 = 0.3m^-3

Find the Total number of sheep in the pen (round your answer to the nearest integer)

Homework Equations

calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

Drawing it out, if you take the segments of the circular pen to be small rings,

then you get a strip, that is
[tex] 2/pi r * dr [/tex] in length

multiplying that by my equation I get the equation

[tex] \int dn(r) = \int \frac{No}{\pi} (R-r) 2\pi r dr [/tex]

moving the constant outside the equation

[tex] \int dn(r) = \frac{No}{\pi} \int (R-r) 2\pi r dr [/tex]

expanding the right side of the equation I get

[tex] R * (2\pi r dr) + -r * (2\pi r dr) [/tex]

integrating I get
[tex] n = \frac{No}{\pi} (\frac{R 2\pi r^2}{2} - \frac{2\pi r^3}{3}) [/tex]

simplifying it giving me the final equation

[tex] n = \frac{No}{\pi} ({R\pi r^2} - \frac{2}{3}\pi r^3 ) [/tex]

I need to figure out how to calculate a number!

pls help

i probably got it wrong, can I just substitute in 10, for the values R and also r?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral looks fine, but you should be working with a definite integral. What are the possible values of r (as an interval)? IOW, what are the minimum and maximum values of r?
This makes your integral
[tex] \int_?^? \frac{N_0}{\pi} (R-r) 2\pi r dr [/tex]

Before integrating, you can bring all your constants out of the integral. You can substitute for N0.

Oh, so it's from the centre of the circle, where r=0 out to the edge, where I'm guessing the edge is R=10m

[tex]
\int_R^0 \frac{N_0}{\pi} (R-r) 2\pi r dr
[/tex]

[tex]
n = \left \frac{No}{\pi} ({R\pi r^2} - \frac{2}{3}\pi r^3 ) \right|_R^0
[/tex]

(assuming I did the integral right)

I got

[tex]
n = \frac{No}{\pi} ({\pi r^3} - \frac{2}{3}\pi r^3 )
[/tex]
substituting in 10 for r,

I got 100 sheep

I get 100 sheep, too.
The limits in your integral are backwards - it should be
[tex]\int_0^R \frac{N_0}{\pi} (R-r) 2\pi r dr [/tex]
If you had evaluated the integral you wrote correctly, you would have gotten -100 sheep.

Another thing - you said that N0 = 0.3m^-3
That should be N0 = 0.3m^(-2), or .3 sheep per square meter, not cubic meter. It might be per cubic meter if the sheep were stacked up in the pen.

thanks

What is a number equation?

A number equation is a mathematical statement that uses numbers and symbols to show the relationship between quantities. It typically includes an equal sign (=) and requires the use of basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do I solve a number equation?

To solve a number equation, you need to follow the correct order of operations, which is PEMDAS (parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction). Start by simplifying any expressions within parentheses, then evaluate any exponents. Next, perform any multiplication and division from left to right, followed by addition and subtraction from left to right. Once you have simplified the equation, you should be able to find the value of the variable or unknown quantity.

What are the basic rules for solving a number equation?

The basic rules for solving a number equation include following the correct order of operations, balancing both sides of the equation by performing the same operation on both sides, and eliminating any grouping symbols such as parentheses or brackets. It is also important to remember that whatever operation you perform on one side of the equation, you must also do the same on the other side to maintain equality.

Why is it important to solve number equations?

Solving number equations is essential in many areas of science, engineering, and everyday life. It allows us to find the value of unknown quantities, make predictions, and solve real-world problems. It also helps us understand the relationships between different variables and how changes in one quantity can affect another.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving number equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving number equations include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to balance both sides of the equation, making careless errors in basic arithmetic, and not checking the solution for accuracy. It is also important to be aware of any restrictions on the variable, such as not being able to divide by zero or take the square root of a negative number.