Solve Tricky Definite Integral with x^a-1 Over ln(x) on Interval 0 to 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
iAlexN
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I am trying to solve this integral:

[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{x^a-1}{ln(x)} dx[/itex] (with the interval from 0 to 1).

I have tried substitution but I could not find a way to get it to work. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{x^a-1}{\ln(x)} \;dx[/tex]

In what context did this integral come up?
What sort of range is "a"?

Did you try splitting it up? $$\int_0^1 \frac{x^a}{\ln(x)} dx - \int_0^1 \frac{1}{\ln(x)} \;dx$$

Did you try substituting: ##x = e^u##

Note: $$\int \frac{dx}{\ln(x)}=\text{li}(x)$$
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LogarithmicIntegral.html
 
One way to approach this is by defining
$$I(a)=\int_0^1 \frac{x^a-1}{\ln x}$$
Differentiate both the sides wrt ##a## to obtain
$$I'(a)=\int_0^1 \frac{x^a\ln x}{\ln x}=\int_0^1 x^a\,dx$$
$$I'(a)=\frac{1}{a+1}$$
$$\Rightarrow I(a)=\ln(a+1)+C$$
Notice that ##I(0)=0##, hence ##C=0##.

$$\Rightarrow I(a)=\ln(a+1)$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: juantheron