Solve Trig Equation tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x for x 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2

  • Thread starter Thread starter John H
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
John H
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x. Solve where x 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2



Homework Equations


The basic trig identities


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried many different things which all eventually led to no solution. Firstly I tried solving the problem as I would a rational equation. So all terms were collected on one side of equation, and tangent and cotangent were made into sins and cosines, and the entire set of term were then written as one rational expression. Yet no solutions arouse from this method. Help appreciated. If necessary I will scan a copy of my work thus far.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Turn everything into sin and cos and multiply by sin x/cos x, you should be able to then cancel a cos x. Re-arrange to obtain a simple equation which you can then solve.

Mat
 
It will help to know that
[tex]tan(2x)= \frac{2tan(x)}{1- tan^2(x)}[/tex]
 
Not really, it won't. He needs to turn everything into either sin x or cos x. he can just use tan(2x)=sin(2x)/cos(2x)