Solve Trig Equation tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x for x 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2

• Thread starter John H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the problem involves solving tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x, where 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2, using basic trig identities. The attempt at a solution involved trying to solve it as a rational equation and then turning everything into sin and cos. However, this did not lead to any solutions. A suggested method involved using the identity tan(2x)=sin(2x)/cos(2x) and 2sin(x)cos(x)=sin(2x) to simplify the equation and solve for x.
John H

Homework Statement

tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x. Solve where x 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2

Homework Equations

The basic trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried many different things which all eventually led to no solution. Firstly I tried solving the problem as I would a rational equation. So all terms were collected on one side of equation, and tangent and cotangent were made into sins and cosines, and the entire set of term were then written as one rational expression. Yet no solutions arouse from this method. Help appreciated. If necessary I will scan a copy of my work thus far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you have done.

Turn everything into sin and cos and multiply by sin x/cos x, you should be able to then cancel a cos x. Re-arrange to obtain a simple equation which you can then solve.

Mat

It will help to know that
[tex]tan(2x)= \frac{2tan(x)}{1- tan^2(x)}[/tex]

Not really, it won't. He needs to turn everything into either sin x or cos x. he can just use tan(2x)=sin(2x)/cos(2x)

Related to Solve Trig Equation tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x for x 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

What is the difference between solving a trigonometric equation and solving a regular algebraic equation?

The main difference is that in a trigonometric equation, the unknown variable is an angle, whereas in a regular algebraic equation, the unknown variable can be any number.

How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, as well as algebraic manipulation techniques, to isolate the variable (angle) on one side of the equation.

What is the solution to the trigonometric equation tan 2x = 8cos^2 x - cot x for x 0 ≤ x ≤ pi/2?

The solution to this equation is x = pi/4.

How do you verify the solution to a trigonometric equation?

To verify the solution, you can substitute the value of the angle (in this case, pi/4) into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. In this case, plugging in pi/4 for x gives tan 2(pi/4) = 8cos^2 (pi/4) - cot (pi/4), which simplifies to 1 = 1, verifying that x = pi/4 is a solution.