Solve Unknown Capacitance from Series Capacitors & Battery Charge

• Thread starter Angie K.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, in this conversation, the problem is about finding the unknown capacitance in a series combination of capacitors connected to a battery. The known values are the capacitance and charge on one of the capacitors, as well as the voltage of the battery. The attempted solution using the equation V(total)=Q(total)/C(total) did not work because capacitors in series do not add like C1 + C2. However, the observation that the charge on capacitors in series are equal is useful in solving the problem. By using this observation and the given information, the unknown capacitance can be determined.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

A 197-pF capacitor is connected in series with an unknown capacitor, and as a series combination they are connected to a 25.4-V battery. If the 197-pF capacitor stores 143 pC of charge on its plates, what is the unknown capacitance?

Homework Equations

Q = C*V (charge stored on each capacitor)
Total Capacitance = 1/C1+1/C2
Total Charge Stored = QTotal = CTotal*VTotal

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. It seems like I should just be able to use one of the equations above but just rearrange it so I am solving for the unknown capacitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the charge of capacitors in series is equal.

Angie K. said:

Homework Statement

A 197-pF capacitor is connected in series with an unknown capacitor, and as a series combination they are connected to a 25.4-V battery. If the 197-pF capacitor stores 143 pC of charge on its plates, what is the unknown capacitance?

Homework Equations

Q = C*V (charge stored on each capacitor)
Total Capacitance = 1/C1+1/C2
Total Charge Stored = QTotal = CTotal*VTotal

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation V(total)=Q(total)/C(total)
Known variables plugged in:
25.4V = 143pC/(197+x)
and I tried to solve for x (the second unknown capacitor) using algebra.
But that didn't work because for x, I got a value of -191.37pF

Capacitors in series don't add like C1 + C2. That's why your attempt at a solution went awry and you came up with a negative value.

But your observation that the charge on capacitors in series are equal is valid, and will prove to be useful here.

Since you're given the capacitance and charge on one of the capacitors you should be able to determine the voltage across that capacitor. What then is the voltage on the other capacitor? What's the charge? What then is its capacitance?

1. How do I calculate the unknown capacitance in a series circuit with capacitors and a battery?

To calculate the unknown capacitance in a series circuit, you can use the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge stored in the capacitor, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. In this case, you will need to first calculate the total charge and voltage in the circuit using Kirchhoff's loop rule. Then, plug in the values for Q and V into the formula to solve for the unknown capacitance.

2. What is Kirchhoff's loop rule and how is it used in this calculation?

Kirchhoff's loop rule, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of the voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. In this calculation, you will use this rule to determine the total voltage in the series circuit, which will then be used in the formula for capacitance.

3. Can I use this method to solve for unknown capacitance in a parallel circuit?

No, this method is specifically for solving for unknown capacitance in a series circuit. In a parallel circuit, the total capacitance can be calculated using the formula C = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn, where C1, C2, etc. are the individual capacitances. However, if the parallel circuit is simplified to an equivalent series circuit, then the method described above can be used.

4. How accurate is this method for calculating unknown capacitance?

This method can provide a fairly accurate estimate of the unknown capacitance as long as the circuit is well-designed and all components are functioning properly. However, there may be some limitations or errors introduced by factors such as stray capacitance or resistance in the circuit.

5. Can I use this method for any type of capacitor?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of capacitor as long as the circuit is designed to accommodate the voltage and capacitance values of the specific capacitor being used. However, it is important to note that this method assumes ideal conditions and may not be as accurate for non-ideal capacitors such as electrolytic or ceramic capacitors.