Solve xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2: Solutions & Tips

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find all solutions of the equation xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2. After some rearranging and substitution, it can be rewritten as x^2v'+xv=x^3+vx+2x^3v-x^3v^2. This substitution may be helpful in finding solutions to the original equation.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work:

xy'=x^3+y-2x^2*y+xy^2
xy'=x(x^2-2xy+y^2)+y
xy'=x(x-y)^2+y
y'=(x-y)^2+y/x
Now I'm stucked. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work:

xy'=x^3+y-2x^2*y+xy^2
xy'=x(x^2-2xy+y^2)+y
xy'=x(x-y)^2+y
y'=(x-y)^2+y/x
Now I'm stucked. Please help me.

You can see from the last line that [itex]y(x) = x[/itex] is one solution, although there may be others. But your rearrangement is not separable, so you are unlikely to make further progress.

The left hand side of the original is [itex]xy'[/itex]. There's a [itex]y[/itex] on the right, so bringing that across makes the LHS [itex]xy' - y = x^2(y/x)'[/itex], so the substitution [itex]v = y/x[/itex] is worth considering.

Good idea!

If v= y/x, then y= xv so that y'= xv'+ v. xy'=x^3+y-2x^2*y+xy^2 becomes x^2v'+ xv= x^3+ xv- 2x^3v+ x^3v^2.

Likes Math10
Thank you so much for the help, Hallsoflvy.

Related to Solve xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2: Solutions & Tips

1) What is the difference between a solution and a tip for solving the differential equation xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2?

A solution refers to the specific set of values for x and y that satisfy the differential equation, while a tip for solving the equation refers to a general method or approach that can be used to find solutions.

2) How do you know if a given set of values for x and y is a solution to the differential equation xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2?

To determine if a set of values is a solution, you can plug them into the differential equation and see if the resulting equation is true. If it is, then the set of values is a solution to the equation.

3) Can you provide an example of a tip for solving the differential equation xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2?

A common tip for solving this type of differential equation is to use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables x and y on opposite sides of the equation and integrating both sides to solve for y.

4) What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving the differential equation xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the product rule when differentiating xy, not distributing the terms correctly when simplifying the equation, and not checking for extraneous solutions.

5) Can you explain the significance of the differential equation xy'=x^3+(1-2x^2)y+xy^2 in the field of mathematics?

This differential equation is known as a Bernoulli differential equation and is commonly used in applications involving population growth, chemical reactions, and economics. It also has important connections to other areas of mathematics such as dynamical systems and control theory.