Solve Yes/No Logic Puzzle & Save Explorer: How?

In summary, the explorer needs to ask the cannibal a question that the liar would answer falsely and the truth-teller would answer truthfully, in order to determine whether the cannibal always lies or always tells the truth. One possible question could be "If I were to ask the other cannibal which one of you always lies, what would he say?" If the cannibal answers with the opposite of what the other cannibal would say, then he is a liar. Otherwise, he is a truth-teller.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

An explorer is captured by a group of cannibals. There are two types of cannibals--those who always tell the truth and those who always lie. The cannibals will barbecue the explore unless he can determine whether a particular cannibal always lies or always tells the truth. He is allowed to ask the cannibal exactly one question. Find a question that the explorer can use to determine whether the cannibal always lies or always tells the truth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start. Is there a systematic way to formulate the appropriate question with propositional logic and truth tables, or must one just have divine inspiration?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always ask the cannibal whether he is a dolphin. If he says he is a dolphin then he's a liar.

But, I guess that's not the sort of question you are expected to find?

Likes Battlemage!, Mr Davis 97 and member 587159
PeroK said:
You could always ask the cannibal whether he is a dolphin. If he says he is a dolphin then he's a liar.

But, I guess that's not the sort of question you are expected to find?

I actually laughed on that one, but it's a correct answer.

Likes Battlemage!

1. How do I solve a Yes/No logic puzzle?

To solve a Yes/No logic puzzle, start by reading the given statements and making a list of all the information you know. Then, use logic and deductive reasoning to eliminate possibilities and narrow down the potential solutions. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or chart to visualize the different scenarios. Keep testing your deductions until you arrive at the correct solution.

2. What is the purpose of solving a Yes/No logic puzzle?

The purpose of solving a Yes/No logic puzzle is to exercise your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps to improve your logical reasoning abilities and can be a fun and challenging mental exercise.

3. Are there any strategies for solving a Yes/No logic puzzle?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be helpful in solving a Yes/No logic puzzle. Some common strategies include making a list of all the information, using the process of elimination, and considering all possible scenarios. It may also be helpful to start with the statements that have the most restrictions and work from there.

4. What does it mean to "save the explorer" in a Yes/No logic puzzle?

In a Yes/No logic puzzle, "saving the explorer" refers to finding the correct solution or answer that will lead the explorer to safety. It is often the ultimate goal of the puzzle and requires careful deduction and logical thinking to achieve.

5. How can I get better at solving Yes/No logic puzzles?

The best way to get better at solving Yes/No logic puzzles is to practice regularly. Start with simpler puzzles and gradually work your way up to more challenging ones. It can also be helpful to read tips and strategies from experienced puzzle solvers and to work through puzzles with a friend or in a group to discuss different approaches and solutions.