Solved: Showing Dirac Lagrangian Commutes at Spacelike Separated Points

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
In summary, Mandl and Shaw show that the charge current density operator commutes at spacelike separated points. They use microcauality to show that the commutator is e^2c^2.
jdstokes
[SOLVED] Mandl and Shaw 4.3

The question is to show that the charge current density operator [itex]s^\mu = - ec \bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu\psi[/itex] for the Dirac Lagrangian commutes at spacelike separated points. Ie

[itex][s^\mu(x),s^\nu(y)] = 0 [/itex] for [itex](x-y)^2 < 0[/itex].

By microcauality we have [itex]\{ \psi(x), \bar{\psi}(y) \} = 0[/itex].

The commutator is

[itex]e^2c^2( \bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi (x) \bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi(y)-\bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi(y) \bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi (x) )[/itex]

I tried to evaluate this in index notation. The first term is

[itex]\left(\bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi (x) \bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi(y)\right)_{\alpha\beta} = \left(\bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi (x) \right)_{\alpha\epsilon}\left( \bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi(y)\right)_{\epsilon\beta} = \bar{\psi}_\alpha (x) (\gamma^\mu)_{\epsilon\gamma} \psi_\gamma (x) \bar{\psi}_\epsilon (y)(\gamma^\nu)_{\beta\delta}\psi_\delta(y) [/itex]

[itex]=\bar{\psi}_\alpha(x) \psi_\gamma (x) \bar{\psi}_\epsilon(y)\psi_\delta (y)(\gamma^\mu)_{\epsilon\gamma} (\gamma^\nu)_{\beta\delta}[/itex].

Minus the second term is

[itex]\left(\bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi (y) \bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi(x)\right)_{\alpha\beta}[/itex].

If I simply expand this as [itex]\left(\bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi (y)\right)_{\alpha\epsilon}\left( \bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi(x)\right)_{\epsilon\beta}[/itex] I get a different answer to the first term. What I would like to do is to equate this to

[itex]\left(\bar{\psi}(y)\gamma^\nu\psi (y)\right)_{\epsilon\beta}\left( \bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^\mu\psi(x)\right)_{\alpha\epsilon}[/itex] and then use the anti-commutation relations to show this is the same as the first term.

If A and B are Hermitian and so is AB then [itex](AB)_{\alpha\beta} = (AB)^\ast_{\beta\alpha} = a_{\beta\epsilon}^\ast b_{\epsilon\alpha}^\ast = a_{\epsilon\beta}b_{\alpha\epsilon}[/itex]. But in my case the product of the two matrices is not Hermitian so I can't do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Turned out to be something totally stupid. I was interpreting the current as quadruple of matrices when it is in fact a quadruple of complex numbers.

Ok,

[j[tex]^{\mu}[/tex], j[tex]^{\nu}[/tex]] =0

where j[tex]^{\mu}[/tex] =[tex]\overline{\psi}(x)[/tex][tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]^{\mu}[/tex][tex]\psi (x)[/tex]

Is this true?

Related to Solved: Showing Dirac Lagrangian Commutes at Spacelike Separated Points

What is the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a quantum field theory. It is used to calculate the probabilities of different particle interactions and is a fundamental concept in particle physics.

What does it mean for the Dirac Lagrangian to commute at spacelike separated points?

When the Dirac Lagrangian commutes at spacelike separated points, it means that the values of the Lagrangian at those points are independent of each other. This is important because it allows us to make predictions about particle interactions without having to consider the influence of other points in spacetime.

Why is it important to show that the Dirac Lagrangian commutes at spacelike separated points?

It is important to show this because it is a necessary condition for the consistency and validity of quantum field theories. If the Lagrangian does not commute at spacelike separated points, it can lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in the theory.

How is it determined that the Dirac Lagrangian commutes at spacelike separated points?

This is typically done mathematically by using commutation relations and symmetries of the theory. By carefully analyzing the equations and calculations, it can be shown that the Lagrangian satisfies the condition of commuting at spacelike separated points.

What are the implications of the Dirac Lagrangian commuting at spacelike separated points?

The implications are that the theory is consistent and can accurately predict the behavior of particles in quantum field interactions. This is crucial for understanding and studying the fundamental building blocks of our universe.