Solving Linear ODE: 2*dy/dx - y = e^x at y(0) = 0

• Thread starter NewtonianAlch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and finding the integrating factor. The student is having trouble with the left hand side of the equation and is advised to check their integrating factor. They eventually realize that they need to divide the equation by 2 before finding the integrating factor. However, their final solution does not work in the original differential equation.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Solve 2*dy/dx - y = e^x at y(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So the integrating factor is e^-x

Multiplying through by e^-x:

2e^-x(dy/dx) - ye^-x = 1

Now this is where I'm having a slight problem, isn't the left hand side meant to contract via the product rule to d/dx(...) ?

Except that the derivative of 2e^-x is not -e^-x

What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

2e^-x(dy/dx) - ye^-x = 1

Now this is where I'm having a slight problem, isn't the left hand side meant to contract via the product rule to d/dx(...) ?

What have I done wrong?
You might want to check your integrating factor :wink:

The form of the differential equation needed before computing an integrating factor is
y' + P(x)y = Q(x). This is done so the Product Rule can be applied: you are looking for a function I(x) such that

[tex]I(x) \frac{dy}{dx} + I(x)P(x)y = I(x)Q(x) \Rightarrow \frac{d}{dx}[I(x)y(x)] = I(x)Q(x) ,[/tex]

that is, so you will be able to re-make the left-hand side of the differential equation into the derivative of a simple product. After integration, you will have [itex]I(x)y(x) = \int I(x)Q(x) [/itex], after which you can simply divide I(x) back out again to obtain an expression for y (one that has a "closed form" if I(x)Q(x) can be integrated).

NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

2e^-x(dy/dx) - ye^-x = 1

Then you must have the wrong integrating factor since this is exactly how "integrating factor" is defined!

What have I done wrong?

Ah...I see now, I should divide the equation through by 2 first, therefore the integrating factor becomes e^-1/2x

and the equation eventually becomes y = e^x + e^-1/2x

Thanks guys =)

NewtonianAlch said:
and the equation eventually becomes y = e^x + e^-1/2x

Not quite: check what you did when you divided e-(1/2)x back out. Your solution doesn't work in the original DE...

Last edited:

1. What is a linear ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It contains only linear terms, meaning that the unknown function and its derivatives are raised to the first power and are not multiplied together.

2. How do you solve a linear ODE?

To solve a linear ODE, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factor, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then integrating to find the solution.

3. What does it mean to have an initial condition in a linear ODE?

In a linear ODE, an initial condition refers to a given value of the dependent variable at a specific point. It is used to find the unique solution to the ODE, as the general solution of a linear ODE contains a constant that can be determined by the initial condition.

4. How do you solve a linear ODE with a specific initial condition?

To solve a linear ODE with a specific initial condition, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves substituting the initial condition into the general solution of the ODE and solving for the constant term.

5. Can the solution to a linear ODE be graphed?

Yes, the solution to a linear ODE can be graphed. The solution is a function that describes the relationship between the dependent variable and the independent variable. This function can be plotted on a graph to show how the dependent variable changes with respect to the independent variable.