1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a linear ODE

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve 2*dy/dx - y = e^x at y(0) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

So the integrating factor is e^-x

Multiplying through by e^-x:

2e^-x(dy/dx) - ye^-x = 1

Now this is where I'm having a slight problem, isn't the left hand side meant to contract via the product rule to d/dx(...) ?

Except that the derivative of 2e^-x is not -e^-x

What have I done wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to check your integrating factor :wink:

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The form of the differential equation needed before computing an integrating factor is
    y' + P(x)y = Q(x). This is done so the Product Rule can be applied: you are looking for a function I(x) such that

[tex]I(x) \frac{dy}{dx} + I(x)P(x)y = I(x)Q(x) \Rightarrow \frac{d}{dx}[I(x)y(x)] = I(x)Q(x) ,[/tex]

that is, so you will be able to re-make the left-hand side of the differential equation into the derivative of a simple product. After integration, you will have [itex]I(x)y(x) = \int I(x)Q(x) [/itex], after which you can simply divide I(x) back out again to obtain an expression for y (one that has a "closed form" if I(x)Q(x) can be integrated).

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then you must have the wrong integrating factor since this is exactly how "integrating factor" is defined!

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    Ah...I see now, I should divide the equation through by 2 first, therefore the integrating factor becomes e^-1/2x

and the equation eventually becomes y = e^x + e^-1/2x

Thanks guys =)

7. Sep 20, 2011 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Not quite: check what you did when you divided e-(1/2)x back out. Your solution doesn't work in the original DE...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook