Solving a Rubik's Cube: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter hover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
In summary: The last piece was harder to get in the right spot without messing the others up and to tell you the truth, I got it by accident :X!In summary, someone here has solved a Rubik's cube before, and may have some helpful tips.
Ah yes I remember this thread. Interesting to see how many views its gotten and how much I have improved solving since.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=95473

if you have the time, read through it and you'll be able to solve a rubik's cube.

Then all you need to do is get down on your luck and have your wife leave you and be all alone with your 2 year old son and pursue a career in banking/investment and end up in the car of a man who's hiring and solve the cube by the time the cab takes him to his home thereby impressing him so much he'll offer you an opportunity to be hired.

Also, you need to be will smith.

A few months ago, I decided to try solving a rubik's cube without reading about any algorithms from the net. I spent 30 minutes doing what Euclid did: identifying axioms & building on them. I got some helpful conclusions, but unfortunately got bored and didn't bother continuing.

If anybody here can honestly say they've no idea how to solve a cube but manages to come up with a way, tell me and I'll acknowledge you as a genius. :)

ideasrule said:
A few months ago, I decided to try solving a rubik's cube without reading about any algorithms from the net. I spent 30 minutes doing what Euclid did: identifying axioms & building on them. I got some helpful conclusions, but unfortunately got bored and didn't bother continuing.

If anybody here can honestly say they've no idea how to solve a cube but manages to come up with a way, tell me and I'll acknowledge you as a genius. :)

Naw it really doesn't take any smarts to learn how to solve a rubik's cube. Somebody just needs to teach you how to do it and if your patient and listen you will learn. You can always try youtube. Some great videos there.

Leave genius for the people who have solved fundamental problems in physics.

*cough* Einstein *cough* :P

I have a solution for 2x2 and 3x3 cubes, which I figured out myself. Memorizing somebody else solution is no use, no fun. Here is how it works. I am not a mathematician physicist, just el enginer, so my explanation may sound moronic , but it is unic in its way because it take smallest amount of memorization ( but the most time to solve). I will not get in details , but in generally it is like this. The top layers always is just common sense. If you get 2x2 the moves which really twist the gut of the cube and change something is the the move to get down one of the top corners one way and get it back up the other way. in formulas this mean L-, D-, L+ , back is F+,D+,F- . This moves again gets a corner form top puts it down and gets it back up, so the top side is same but it has efect on bottom. Efect is 2 corners in from swap places one stays and one is rotated 120 degree. With this knowlegde there is no configutation that you cannot put bottom corners in positions. If this procedure is made 2 times it will keep the bottom corners in position but turn 3 of them 120 degree, made 4 times will do 240 degree. Basicly there is no situation that with apropriate orientation execution this procedure needed times to solve 2x2. The 3x3 is done with same principle. when the "corner up-down" is made ip places mid level edges from 3 level to second ( actually what I am talking is a very popular formula for solving second layer, but use it over and over...)when this formula is used get down egde from second layer to 3-layer it has effect on swapping bottom edges , positioning bottom corners and finally rotating corners 120/240 gedree... It is bit time consuming but I believe it is the solution with least memorization . Any comments I will appreciate.

I average just over a minute (my cube sucks)

Best time : 47secs ( on a really good day. )

I use a modified beginners method. I developed a few of my own algorithms which took my time from 2mins 30secs to 1min 10 secs.

I am trying to learn the CFOP (Cross - F2L - OLL - PLL) system.

Just for the clarity of my last message I feel I need to spell it out. The only formula which one have to know for 2x2x2 cube is R-D+R+D+F+D-F- This formula executed once swaps 2 front corners on bottom layer ( down side) and keeps back corners in same position , one of the back corners ( left back) is rotated 120 degree. When executed twice in sequence it rotates 3 corners 120 degree ( because it swaps back the 2 front corners). The right back corner is intact again. This is all you need for 2x2x2. For the 3x3x3 cube this formula is just illustration of the idea. If D+ ( so the D-) are doubbled it modifies the effect of the formula over the bottom layer , but no effect on 2 layer and 1 layer . All you need for 3x3x3 cube is 3 formulas for the bottom layer ( the doubbling modifications give you all 4 formulas) . This set of formulas is complete. It takes around 2 minutes to solve a 3x3x3 cube, but this method has the smallest count of formulas. As I know for speed solving you have set of 50+ formulas which gets your bottom side from any possible combination directly to solved state. This method is the complete opposite slowest but less memory involved ( as in PCs computational power is achieved trough speed or memory...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Cube sides Up, Down, Right, Left, Front, Back, where R- is Right side counterclockwise , D+ is Down side clockwise,

One more. This same method works for what I call pentacube or megaminx. This is figure which have 12 facets , which are pentagons. It is quite more complicated with around 7-8 formulas involved, but in principle is the same. It is solved in layers again. The layesr besides the very bottom are just common sense ... for the last the above method works. Time it takes ? Time to develop the formulas 1 week . Time to solve 1 hour. ha-ha-ha! Good luck!

This is the pentacube / megaminx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003631BOM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My best time was back when I was a freshman in college. About 1m 50s. Never did figure out how to solve it myself, so I bought a solutions book and memorized the steps.