Solving a Separable ODE: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation y(xy+1)dx + x(1+x^2y^2)dy=0 using substitution and integration. The individual attempts and solutions are discussed, with a focus on identifying and correcting algebra errors. The final answer is given as ln|(1-xy)^2/y| + 1/(xy) = C.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

solve y(xy+1)dx + x(1+x^2y^2)dy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I substituted u=xy. Here is what I've done so far.
du = xdy + ydx -> xdy= du - ydx -> xdy = du - (u/x)dx

(u/x)(u+1)dx + x(1+u^2)dy=0
(u/x)(u+1)dx + (1 + u^2)(du - (u/x)dx)=0
(u^2/x)dx + (u/x)dx + du - (u/x)dx + (u^2)du - (u^3/x)dx = 0
(u^2)dx + xdu + (u^2x)du - (u^3)dx = 0

dx/x + (1+u^2)/(u^2 - u^3)du = 0

hence, dx/x = (1+u^2)/(u^3 - u^2)du, if we integrate it we'll have:

ln|x| = -ln|u| + ln|u+1| + ln|u-1| + C
ln|x| = ln|(u^2 - 1)/u| + lnC'

x = C(u^2 -1)/u -> x = C(xy - 1/(xy)).

but the book says that the final answer is ln|(1-xy)^2/y| + 1/(xy) = C. :|

Have I differentiated u correctly? I can't find out why my answer is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems you made an algebra error somewhere. According to Mathematica, you should get
[tex]\frac{1+u^2}{u^3-u^2} = \frac{2}{u-1}-\frac{1}{u}-\frac{1}{u^2}[/tex]

You seem to have factored [itex]x^3- x^2[/itex] as [itex]x(x- 1)(x+ 1)[/itex]. That is incorrect: [itex]x(x- 1)(x+ 1)= x^3- x[/itex]. Rather, factor out the full "[itex]x^2[/itex]" to get [itex]x^2(x- 1)[/itex].

vela said:
Seems you made an algebra error somewhere. According to Mathematica, you should get
[tex]\frac{1+u^2}{u^3-u^2} = \frac{2}{u-1}-\frac{1}{u}-\frac{1}{u^2}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
You seem to have factored [itex]x^3- x^2[/itex] as [itex]x(x- 1)(x+ 1)[/itex]. That is incorrect: [itex]x(x- 1)(x+ 1)= x^3- x[/itex]. Rather, factor out the full "[itex]x^2[/itex]" to get [itex]x^2(x- 1)[/itex].

Thanks. but there is still a little problem. now I have:

ln|x| = 1/u - ln|u| + 2ln|1-u| + C -> ln|x| = 1/(xy) - ln|xy| + ln|(1-xy)^2| + C
ln|x| = 1/(xy) - ln|x| +ln|((1-xy)^2)/y| + C.

but I need to cancel out ln|x|. I'm sorry that I'm asking you to find my algebra errors, it's because I lack concentration now and when I make a naive algebra error I can't find it myself even if I double check everything I've done from the beginning.

I don't see anything wrong in your work. It could be the book's wrong or you copied the original problem down wrong.

ln(|xy|) = ln(|x||y|) = ln(|x|) + ln(|y|)

Then subtract ln(|x|) from both sides.

1. What is a separable ODE?

A separable ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated into two distinct functions. This allows for the ODE to be solved by integrating both sides of the equation separately.

2. How do you solve a separable ODE?

To solve a separable ODE, you first need to rearrange the equation so that the dependent variable and independent variable are on opposite sides. Then, you can integrate both sides of the equation separately, using appropriate integration techniques for each side. Finally, you can combine the two solutions and solve for any remaining constants.

3. What is the benefit of solving a separable ODE?

Solving a separable ODE allows for a general solution to be obtained, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions. This is useful in many scientific fields, as it provides a way to model and predict the behavior of a system over time.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve a separable ODE?

Some common techniques used to solve a separable ODE include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also important to be familiar with basic integration rules and methods, such as u-substitution and integration by trigonometric substitution.

5. Are there any limitations to solving a separable ODE?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving a separable ODE. This method can only be used for first-order differential equations where the dependent and independent variables can be separated. It also may not work for more complex or nonlinear ODEs, which may require other techniques such as numerical methods or series solutions.