1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an intial value problem using relative extrema

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See uploaded file. PROBLEM 5

2. Relevant equations
    See uploaded file

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am confused on how to go about doing the rest of this I realize I can do it with the first and second derivatives but I forgot what exactly I do with that. I know the first derivative gives me a tangent line to the curve or should I use limits to do this? SEE PROBLEM 5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not understand what you tried to do. The problem asks the numerical value of y at t=0.8.
    What is the value of the first derivative at a local maximum or minimum? Substitute it for y' in the equation.

ehild

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    ok so should I scap my work or just plug .8 into the first derivative of what I did?

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Answer my question, please. What is the numerical value of the first derivative of any function at a local extreme?

ehild

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5
    Ok man you got me I really am trying so at a local extreme there has to be a critical point so the value of the derivative at that point equals zero correct?

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    ok so by setting y'=0 and solving for y I get -1.34909.

8. Sep 7, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.
    You can solve the differential equation, too (although it is not asked) and use this value of y at t=0.8 to get the integration constant. And then the full y(t) function is known.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook