Solving Basic Circuit Problem: Find Voltage Across 10 Ohm Resistor

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Magnawolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor using Ohm's law and circuit analysis methods. The solution ultimately involves source transformation and current division, and the use of nodal analysis is suggested as a good method for solving the problem. However, simpler resistor network reductions may not be sufficient in this case.
Magnawolf

Homework Statement

ioM3d59.png

Find voltage across 10 ohm resistor.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

20 // 30 = 12
30 // 60 = 20

That's as far as I can get. The answer is 14.286.

Physics news on Phys.org
While the 20 and 30 Ohm resistors are in parallel, the 30 and 60 Ohm resistors are not (the voltage source intervenes).

You'll need to pull out some circuit analysis method. There are several choices. What methods have you studied so far?

jvbP2jN.png

Here's the solution to the problem.

It looks like the book did source transformation, which I didn't think was fair because this problem is before source transformation.

I know nodal analysis and mesh but I thought it was possible to do without them. I thought you could just find the R-total and then you could find the total current. I guess not?

Magnawolf said:
jvbP2jN.png

Here's the solution to the problem.

It looks like the book did source transformation, which I didn't think was fair because this problem is before source transformation.
Yup, they did a source transformation (Norton) and then current division.

I know nodal analysis and mesh but I thought it was possible to do without them. I thought you could just find the R-total and then you could find the total current. I guess not?
You need more than simple resistor network reductions (parallel/serial) here. Nodal analysis would be a good choice.

alright thanks

Related to Solving Basic Circuit Problem: Find Voltage Across 10 Ohm Resistor

1. How do you find the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor?

To find the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, you would need to know the value of the current flowing through the resistor and the resistance value of the resistor.

2. What formula do I use to calculate voltage across a resistor?

The formula used to calculate voltage across a resistor is V = I * R, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

3. How do I determine the current flowing through a 10 ohm resistor?

To determine the current flowing through a 10 ohm resistor, you can use Ohm's Law again, but rearrange the formula to solve for current. So, the formula would be I = V/R. You would need to know the voltage across the resistor and the resistance value.

4. Can I use a multimeter to measure the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor. Set the multimeter to the voltage setting and place the probes on either side of the resistor to measure the voltage.

5. How does the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor affect the overall circuit?

The voltage across a 10 ohm resistor is dependent on the current and resistance values, so it can affect the overall circuit in terms of power dissipation and voltage drops. The voltage drop across the resistor can also affect the voltage at other points in the circuit.