Solving Beam Bending Qs: Find Beam Dimensions with 25 MNm^2 Stiffness

In summary, according to the user, if the flexural stiffness of a beam is 25 MNm^2, and the beam is made of steel, then the beam dimensions that would work are 1.25 × 10-4 m4 breadth and 310.7 mm depth.
HorseRidingTic
Bonjouro!
Firstly, as this is my first post here, I would like to say thank you to everyone who is a part of the site and Hello!
I've used this forum a number of times, but this is the first time I've posted here as this user!

If the flexural stiffness of a beam is 25 MNm^2, and the beam is made of steel, what is the breadth and depth of the beam (or at least beam dimensions that would work)

I did this by saying
I = bd^3/12

EI = 25,000,000,000 Nmm^2
E = 200,000 MPa
I = 1,500,000mm^4
Using I = b*d^3 / 12
Assuming breadth (b) is 50mm, I get depth (d) as 31.072mm, but apparently this is wrong and I cannot figure out why :'(

My question comes from this thing I found on the internet, which gives me these FEA results, but they don't match up!
View post on imgur.com

Please help PhysicsForum guys! You're my only hope!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
HorseRidingTic said:
Bonjouro!
Firstly, as this is my first post here, I would like to say thank you to everyone who is a part of the site and Hello!
I've used this forum a number of times, but this is the first time I've posted here as this user!

If the flexural stiffness of a beam is 25 MNm^2, and the beam is made of steel, what is the breadth and depth of the beam (or at least beam dimensions that would work)

I did this by saying
I = bd^3/12

EI = 25,000,000,000 Nmm^2
E = 200,000 MPa
I = 1,500,000mm^4
Using I = b*d^3 / 12
Assuming breadth (b) is 50mm, I get depth (d) as 31.072mm, but apparently this is wrong and I cannot figure out why :'(

My question comes from this thing I found on the internet, which gives me these FEA results, but they don't match up!
View post on imgur.com

Please help PhysicsForum guys! You're my only hope!
I think your problem comes down to a mistake in handling the units of EI and E somewhere.

Let's take the original data:

EI = 25 MN-m2, where E = 200 GPa = 200 × 109 N/m2

By dividing EI by E, we get:

I = EI / E = 25 × 106 N-m2 / (200 × 109 N/m2) = 1.25 × 10-4 m4

Since there are 103 mm / m, there are 1012 mm4/m4

So I = 1.25 × 10-4 m4 = 1.25 × 10-4 m4 ⋅ 1012 mm4/m4 = 1.25 × 108 mm4

taking b = 50 mm and assuming a rectangular cross-section for I:

I = bh3 / 12 = 50h3 / 12 = 1.25 × 108 mm4

h3 = 3 × 107 mm3

h ≈ 310.7 mm

Brother! You have saved me. iT was the units, that were the issue. Now I know better. Thank you!

What is beam bending?

Beam bending is a type of stress that occurs when a beam is subjected to a load or force, causing it to bend or deform.

What is stiffness?

Stiffness is a measure of how much a material resists deformation under a given load. In beam bending, stiffness is measured in units of MNm^2 (mega-newton per square meter).

How do I find the beam dimensions with 25 MNm^2 stiffness?

To find the beam dimensions with a given stiffness of 25 MNm^2, you will need to use the formula: E*I = σ*y, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, σ is the stress, and y is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber of the beam.

What factors can affect beam stiffness?

The stiffness of a beam can be affected by factors such as the material properties, cross-sectional shape and size, loading conditions, and supports.

Why is finding beam dimensions with 25 MNm^2 stiffness important?

Finding the beam dimensions with a specific stiffness is important in order to ensure that the beam can withstand the expected load without excessive deformation or failure. This information is crucial in the design and construction of structures and machines that rely on beams for support.