Solving Bicycle Brake Problem: Acceleration & Time to Stop

In summary: You can do the same thing with the other term.x = -2m^{3/2}v_{0}^{3/2}/6b1/2 + (2m)^{1/2}v_{0}/b1/2x = -mv_{0}^{3/2}/3b1/2 + 2(2m)^{1/2}v_{0}/b1/2x = (2(2m)^{1/2}v_{0} - mv_{0}^{3/2})/b1/2x = (2v_{0}(2m)^{1/2} - v_{0}^{3/
joemama69

Homework Statement

A person is riding a bicycle at a constant speed v along a straight road and then gradually applies the brakes until the bicycle comes to a stop. Assume that the magnitude of the braking force increases liearly in time acordinto F = bt where b is a constant. The rider & bicycle have a total mass m

a)what is the magnitude and directio nof teh acceleration of the rider and bicycle

b) is the acceleration constant or not? Explain

c) How long does it take to come to a stop

d) how far does the bike travel during the time the brakes are applied

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i need to find the acceleration of the bike

v = v0 + at, v = 0

a = -vo / t

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = ma = -vo/t - bt

a = (-vo/t - bt)/m

b) not possitive but i do think it is constant because the brakes are being applied @ a constant, so it is constantly decreasing. does that make sence?

c) assuming my answer is correct to part a, i would just solve for t, but I am not too comfortable with my answer to a so i haven't solved it yet

d) same as c, but i would solve for x

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) is incorrect. You are given a force F = bt. How is that force related to acceleration?

Fx = ma = bt

so a = bt/m

how do i allow for the initial velocity of the bicle, do i need to use a kinematic equation

The kinematic equations are valid only if the acceleration is constant. Here, the acceleration depends on time, therefore you cannot use them. You have enough information to answer parts (a) and (b). For part (c), you need to integrate the acceleration to find the velocity v(t) as a function of time. Once you have that, you can do part (d) by integrating the velocity to find the position x(t) as a function of time.

a)what is the magnitude and direction of the acerlation ?

Fx = ma = -bt mag of accel = -bt/m (
should it be possitive, is the mag the absolute value)

So the direction is negative

b)is the accerleration constant?

No because it is a functio of time

c)how long does it take to stop

v = [tex]\int[/tex]a dt = [tex]\int[/tex] (-bt)/m dt

v = -(bt2)/2m

t = [tex]\sqrt{2mv/-b}[/tex]

d)

d) x = [tex]\int[/tex]vdt = [tex]\int[/tex]-bt2/2m dt

x = -bt3/6m this is not correct

joemama69 said:
a)what is the magnitude and direction of the acerlation ?

Fx = ma = -bt mag of accel = -bt/m (
should it be possitive, is the mag the absolute value)

So the direction is negative
I would say opposite to the velocity instead of negative.
b)is the accerleration constant?

No because it is a functio of time
Good.
c)how long does it take to stop

v = [tex]\int[/tex]a dt = [tex]\int[/tex] (-bt)/m dt

v = -(bt2)/2m
You forgot the integration constant. You want the velocity to be v0 at t = 0, not zero as your expression suggests. Fix that first, then find the time it takes to stop.

[tex]\int[/tex]v = -bt2/2m + c where c = vo

t = [tex]\sqrt{2mv_o/b}[/tex]

part d,

x = [tex]\int[/tex]-bt2/2m + vodt = -bt3/6m + vot + c

the answer is x = 2/3vo(2mvo/b).5

Looks good.

i didnt get the same answer as the book (x = 2/3v(2mv/b).5), where did i go wrong

I can't tell you where you went wrong unless I see what your answer is and what you did to get it.

v = -bt2/2m + vo

so i integrated v to get the position

x = [tex]\int[/tex] -bt2/2m + vo = -bt3/6m + vot + c

but the answer is x = 2/3vo(2mvo/b).5

i attempted to pug in t, but that didnt work out either

joemama69 said:
v = -bt2/2m + vo

so i integrated v to get the position

x = [tex]\int[/tex] -bt2/2m + vo = -bt3/6m + vot + c

but the answer is x = 2/3vo(2mvo/b).5

Call the second integration constant c = 0. You assume that when he starts braking he is at the origin. What you have above is the position at any time t. You want the position when he stops. You know how long it take him to stop, so...

x = -bt3/6m + vot where t = (2mvo/b).5

x = -b(2mvo/b)3/2/6m + vo(2mvo/b).5

im stuck

You need to remove the parentheses by raising what's inside to the appropriate powers so you can simplify. For example,

[tex]b\large(\frac{2mv_{0}}{b} \large)^{3/2}=b\frac{2^{3/2}m^{3/2}v_{0}^{3/2}}{b^{3/2}}[/tex]

Then the b in the numerator and the b3/2 in the denominator combine to give you a b1/2 in the denominator.

1. How does acceleration affect the time it takes for a bicycle to stop?

Acceleration affects the time it takes for a bicycle to stop because it determines how quickly the bicycle is slowing down. The greater the acceleration, the shorter the stopping distance and therefore less time is required to come to a complete stop.

2. What is the relationship between the force applied to the brakes and the acceleration of the bicycle?

The force applied to the brakes is directly proportional to the acceleration of the bicycle. This means that the greater the force applied to the brakes, the greater the acceleration will be, resulting in a shorter stopping distance and less time to stop.

3. How do factors such as weight and friction affect the braking performance of a bicycle?

Factors such as weight and friction can greatly impact the braking performance of a bicycle. A heavier bicycle will require more force and longer distances to come to a stop, while a lighter bicycle will have better braking performance. Friction also plays a role, as more friction between the tires and the road will result in a shorter stopping distance and less time to stop.

4. Is there a maximum speed at which a bicycle can stop within a certain distance?

Yes, there is a maximum speed at which a bicycle can stop within a certain distance. This speed is determined by the braking power and efficiency of the bicycle. The faster the bicycle is moving, the longer the stopping distance will be and therefore more time will be required to come to a stop.

5. How can the braking performance of a bicycle be improved?

The braking performance of a bicycle can be improved by ensuring that the brakes are properly maintained and adjusted, using high-quality brake pads, and having a proper understanding of braking techniques. Additionally, reducing the weight of the bicycle and increasing friction between the tires and the road can also improve braking performance.