Solving Block on Incline w/ Magnetic Force

In summary, the problem involves a block on a frictionless incline at an angle phi, with a magnetic force acting horizontally. The goal is to find the component of the normal force that balances out the magnetic force. The correct solution is mgtan(phi), which can be obtained by setting the component of the magnetic force parallel to the incline equal to the component of the normal force parallel to the incline.
davidmigl

Homework Statement

See the figure. This is part of a larger problem involving electromagnetism. I understand the electromagnetism but am having trouble with the basic mechanics!

I have a block of mass M on a frictionless incline at angle phi. There is a magnetic force acting horizontally on the block. I need to find the component of the normal force that balances this out.

The Attempt at a Solution

The component of the normal force parallel to the incline is mg*cos(Pi/2-phi)=mgsin(phi). The angle between this component is phi. Therefore, the horizontal component should be mgsin(phi)cos(phi).

However, my book says this should be mgtan(phi). I do not know how they got that. Perhaps setting the component of the magnetic force parallel to the incline equal to the component of the normal force parallel to the incline we get Fcos(phi)=mgsin(phi) so F=mgtan(phi). But if I try to find the component of the normal force in the opposite direction of the magnetic force, I get F=mgsin(phi)cos(phi). What gives?

Attachments

• physicsquestion.jpg
    physicsquestion.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
davidmigl said:

Homework Statement

See the figure. This is part of a larger problem involving electromagnetism. I understand the electromagnetism but am having trouble with the basic mechanics!

I have a block of mass M on a frictionless incline at angle phi. There is a magnetic force acting horizontally on the block. I need to find the component of the normal force that balances this out.

The Attempt at a Solution

The component of the normal force parallel to the incline is mg*cos(Pi/2-phi)=mgsin(phi). The angle between this component is phi. Therefore, the horizontal component should be mgsin(phi)cos(phi).

However, my book says this should be mgtan(phi). I do not know how they got that. Perhaps setting the component of the magnetic force parallel to the incline equal to the component of the normal force parallel to the incline we get Fcos(phi)=mgsin(phi) so F=mgtan(phi). But if I try to find the component of the normal force in the opposite direction of the magnetic force, I get F=mgsin(phi)cos(phi). What gives?

I can't see your image, but you have gravity acting || to the incline and that component you have as m*g*sinφ . Your horizontal force has a component up the incline || and opposite the m*g component, and that makes you balanced condition F - the horizontally directed F then m*g*tanφ as you have figured.

When you are looking at the forces normal to the incline then don't you have two components there, that are in balance not with each other but with the force normal to the incline? You have your m*g*cosφ and you have your F*sinφ.

Thank you for your reply. I see how you get [tex]mgtan(\phi)[/tex]. Where was I going wrong when I got [tex]mgsin(\phi)cos(\phi)[/tex]?

I.e. [tex]mgcos(\phi)[/tex] is at an angle [tex]\pi/2-\phi[/tex] with the horizontal. So it's component in the horizontal direction should be [tex]mgcos(\phi)cos(\pi/2-\phi)=mgcos(\phi)sin(\phi)[/tex]. But that can't be right, since [tex]sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\neq tan(\phi)[/tex] in general.

Related to Solving Block on Incline w/ Magnetic Force

1. What is a block on an incline with magnetic force problem?

A block on an incline with magnetic force problem is a physics problem that involves a block or object placed on an inclined plane or ramp, and a magnetic force acting on it. The goal is to determine the acceleration and motion of the block as it moves down the incline due to the influence of gravity and the magnetic force.

2. What are the key components of this problem?

The key components of a block on incline with magnetic force problem are the block or object, the inclined plane or ramp, and the magnetic force. Other important factors may include the mass of the block, the angle of incline, and the strength of the magnetic force.

3. How is this problem solved?

This problem can be solved using principles from Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. The forces acting on the block, such as gravity and the magnetic force, can be calculated and used to determine the acceleration and motion of the block.

4. What are some common applications of this problem?

This type of problem is commonly used in physics and engineering to understand the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of different forces. It can also be applied to real-world situations, such as the movement of objects on conveyor belts or the behavior of vehicles on inclined roads with magnetic fields.

5. What are some tips for solving this problem effectively?

Some tips for solving a block on incline with magnetic force problem effectively include drawing a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the block, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and carefully considering the direction and magnitude of each force. It can also be helpful to use equations and check for any errors or inconsistencies in the calculations.