Solving Cable Tension Problem with Given Angles and Mass

In summary, The problem involves a 16.00 kg mass attached to two cables at angles of 48 degrees and 22 degrees with the ceiling. The goal is to calculate the tension in each cable if the system is at rest. The equations used are T1cos(∅)1=T2cos(∅)2 and T1/T2=cos(∅)2/cos(∅)1. It is recommended to draw a sketch and use trigonometry to find the tensions.
ChessFanatic

Homework Statement

Two cables are attached to a 16.00 kg mass, or 160 N (Our teacher told us to use 10 for gravity). The angle between the cable on the left and the ceiling is 48 degrees. The angle between the cable on the right and the ceiling is 22 degrees. Calculate the tension in the cable on the left if the system is at rest. Calculate the tension in the cable on the right if the system is at rest.

I have been absent from class, so I can't really attempt at a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

T1cos(∅)1=T2cos(∅)2

T1/T2=cos(∅)2/cos(∅)1

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. You should draw your sketch more to scale to help with the geometry and trig.
2. The mass is given in kg, so you should calculate its weight in Newtons, not pounds.
3. Please show an attempt based on what you know about equilibrium and Newton's laws.

It's sort of hard to make a drawing to scale; i just drew that picture because it was a given and I thought it would help. I have already converted to Newtons.

Ok, then please show an attempt at a solution and someone will check your work and provide assistance if necessary.

Sorry, I put it in the post now, but I haven't been to class and I'm lost on how to do this type of problem. I've been watching videos on it, but I can't find anything similar to this problem in that the cables connect to two parts of the mass rather than just one point

So far you have two unknowns and one equation. Do you know how that one was derived, from sum of forces? Now you need another equation. I'd recommend one that descrbies the tension in an individual cable. Or you could just do some simple trig to find the tensions.

Last edited:
ChessFanatic said:
Sorry, I put it in the post now, but I haven't been to class and I'm lost on how to do this type of problem. I've been watching videos on it, but I can't find anything similar to this problem in that the cables connect to two parts of the mass rather than just one point
For all intent and purpose, you can assume the mass is attached at one point, rather than splitting the weight between 2 points . As has been noted, you already have one equation in the horizontal direction, now you need to look in the vertical direction to get the other.

1. What is a cable tension problem?

A cable tension problem refers to a situation where the tension, or force, applied to a cable is not properly balanced or distributed, resulting in potential structural issues or failure.

2. What causes cable tension problems?

Cable tension problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect installation, changes in temperature or environmental conditions, excess weight or load on the cable, or wear and tear over time.

3. How can cable tension problems be detected?

Cable tension problems can be detected through regular maintenance and inspections, as well as through visual and physical checks for signs of wear or damage. Specialized equipment, such as tension meters, can also be used to measure the tension in a cable.

4. What are the consequences of ignoring cable tension problems?

Ignoring cable tension problems can lead to serious consequences, such as cable failure, structural damage, and potential safety hazards. It can also result in costly repairs or replacements.

5. How can cable tension problems be fixed?

The appropriate solution to fixing cable tension problems will depend on the specific cause and severity of the issue. This may include adjustments to the cable tension, replacement of damaged components, or reinforcement of the structure supporting the cable.