Solving Complicated Limits: A Guide for Advanced Mathematicians

In summary: I believe the technique goes by the name "logarithmic differentiation".In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the limit \lim_{x \to ∞} \left( \frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 2x + 5} \right)^{-2x} using different methods, such as using the logarithm and polynomial division. The suggested methods involve rewriting the limit in a different form and using the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression. The conversation also mentions that the technique used is known as "logarithmic differentiation" and can be found in most calculus textbooks.
askor
Member warned that some effort must be shown
How do you solve this kind of limit?

[tex]\lim_{x \to ∞} \left( \frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 2x + 5} \right)^{-2x}[/tex]

Please give me a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about using the logarithm?

Thank's for the clue but I'm still thinking it seem too difficult for me. Can you please show me which page from this calculus textbook about solving limit with logarithm?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/khld5g

askor said:
Thank's for the clue but I'm still thinking it seem too difficult for me. Can you please show me which page from this calculus textbook about solving limit with logarithm?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/khld5g
I'm not sure that homework helping extends to reading your textbooks!

The natural log is a continuous, one-to-one function. You can use that property to see that (informally):
$$\lim \ln(f(x)) = \ln(\lim f(x))$$

Likes JD_PM and sysprog
Alternatively, you can try to put your limit in the form
$$\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{y\cdot f(x)}$$
and then use the limit definition of the number ##e##.
You can start by trying to write your quotient ##\frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 2x + 5}## as ##1+\frac{1}{f(x)}##

Likes Leo Liu
Are all of these within the calculus textbook?

askor said:
How do you solve this kind of limit?

[tex]\lim_{x \to ∞} \left( \frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 2x + 5} \right)^{-2x}[/tex]

Please give me a clue.
Follow @Gaussian97's hint:
Try to bring it to a function of ##(1+1/y)^y## What is this limit when y goes to infinity?
First divide both the numerator and denominator by x^2. Then neglect the second-order terms.

Last edited:
Please show me the first step, I still don't understand, my brain is blank, too difficult.

Do you know about polynomial division? Any polynomial ##A## (so, of course also the polynomial ##x^2-1##) can be divided by any polynomial ##B## (so, in your case ##x^2+2x+5##), what this means is that you can find polynomials ##Q## and ##R## (with the degree of ##R## lower than the degree of ##B##) such that;
$$A = BQ+R$$
This can be expressed also as
$$\frac{A}{B} = Q+\frac{R}{B}$$
Here you have methods to find ##Q## and ##R## in case you don't know how to do it.
So, the first step is to find those polynomials ##Q## and ##R##, we have advanced you that the polynomial ##Q## is ##Q=1## (which is a polynomial of degree 0). Is now your turn verify this is true and find the polynomial ##R##.

Gaussian97 said:
You can start by trying to write your quotient ##\frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 2x + 5}## as ##1+\frac{1}{f(x)}##
Then, the function ##f(x)## that I tell you in this post will be simply the function defined by
$$f(x)=\frac{B}{R}$$ with ##B=x^2+2x+5## and ##R## the polynomian you need to find.

Likes Hsopitalist
Wow! it's too difficult form me. Please show me the first step.

Ok, I will do an example step by step, try to repeat it with your polynomials:
I will divide ##3x^3+6x^2-3x+6## by ##3x^2-1##

So, the first step, you ignore all the terms except the first one of each polynomial and divide them;
$$\frac{3x^3+6x^2-3x+6}{3x^2-1}\rightarrow \frac{3x^3}{3x^2}=x$$
Now you multiply the divisor by ##x## and subtract from the dividend;
$$(3x^3+6x^2-3x+6) - x\cdot(3x^2-1) = (3x^3+6x^2-3x+6) - (3x^3-x)$$ $$= (3-3)x^3+6x^2-(3-1)x+6 = 6x^2-2x+6$$
Notice that this new polynomial has a lower degree than the original one, and also by construction they fulfil
$$(6x^2-2x+6) + x (3x^2-1) = 3x^3+6x^2-3x+6$$

You can redo these two steps once more, starting with ##6x^2-2x+6##
$$\frac{6x^2-2x+6}{3x^2-1}\rightarrow \frac{6x^2}{3x^2}=2$$
$$6x^2-2x+6 - 2\cdot(3x^2-1) =6x^2-2x+6 - (6x^2-2)$$ $$= (6-6)x^2-2x+(6+2) = -2x+4$$

Now notice that this polynomial has a lower degree that you divisor, so we are done, the polynomials that we want are
$$Q=x+2, \qquad R=-2x+4$$

Last edited:
askor said:
Re the logarithmic method, the first step is:

$$y(x) = \left( \frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 2x + 5} \right)^{-2x}$$
$$\ln y = 2\frac{\ln(x^2 + 2x + 5) - \ln(x^2 - 1)}{\frac 1 x}$$

askor said:
Are all of these within the calculus textbook?
Your calculus textbook certainly contains the limit
$$\lim _{x\rightarrow\infty} \left(1+1/x\right)^x=e$$
If you follow my hint in Post #8 you find something similar, in a few simple steps
First divide both the numerator and denominator by x^2. Then neglect the second-order terms with 1/x^2, small with respect to 1 and 2/x if x is big enough. What do you get?

Likes PeroK
askor said:

Are you doing a rigorous Real Analysis course? If so, the method using the exponential may be quicker but I'm not sure it can easily be made rigorous.

If you have to evaluate this limit rigorously, then I think the logarithmic approach is the way to go.

Forgive me but I still don't understand.

PeroK said:

This is like a differentiation using a logarithm. But this is a "limit" problem.

More clue please, I give up.

PeroK said:

askor said:
This is like a differentiation using a logarithm.
No! All @PeroK did was to take the natural log of both sides.
askor said:
But this is a "limit" problem.
For the 2nd line of what PeroK wrote, take the limit as ##x \to \infty## on both sides.

Have you looked at your textbook? There should be an example of this technique.

askor said:
Please show me the first step, I still don't understand, my brain is blank, too difficult.
askor said:
askor said:
@askor, you've been given lots of hints, but have not shown any effort on your part. If you are not able to make some progress in this problem with the help you've been given, I'm going to close this thread.

askor said:

This is like a differentiation using a logarithm. But this is a "limit" problem.

More clue please, I give up.

As @Mark44 pointed out, all I did was take the natural log and do some useful manipulation. That wasn't just a clue, that was actually quite a large first step I did for you.

The fact that you don't understand at all what I'm doing suggests that this material is too advanced for you. You don't understand the general method, and you don't understand the algebraic manipulations.

This question is not easy, so I suggest you find some more basic questions first. You should learn the logarithmic method for limits. Also, learn l'Hopital's rule. And try to improve your algebra.

There is a good thing called Taylor formula

Suppose we have
$$\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} a^b$$
with
$$\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} a=1$$
$$\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} b=\infty$$

$$a^b=\exp(b\log(a))$$
$$a^b=\exp\left( b (a-1)) \frac{\log(a)-\log(1)}{a-1}\right)$$

Where to go from here?

PeroK said:
The fact that you don't understand at all what I'm doing suggests that this material is too advanced for you. You don't understand the general method, and you don't understand the algebraic manipulations.
The same thought crossed my mind ...

Please, no more clues until @askor responds.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence at a specific point.

2. How do I know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function or sequence approaches a single value as the input or index approaches a certain value. This can be determined by evaluating the function or sequence at the specific value and checking if it approaches a finite number.

3. What is a weird limit?

A weird limit is a limit that does not follow the typical rules and methods for solving limits. It may involve special techniques or require more advanced mathematical concepts to solve.

4. How do I solve a weird limit?

Solving a weird limit involves understanding the properties and behaviors of the function or sequence and applying appropriate techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. It may also require breaking the limit into smaller parts or using algebraic manipulations.

5. Can a weird limit have multiple solutions?

Yes, a weird limit can have multiple solutions. This is because there may be different approaches or methods to solving the limit, and each may yield a different result. It is important to check the validity of each solution and determine which is the most appropriate for the given context.