Solving Cylinder Volume from Rectangle Perimeter of 40cm

In summary, we are trying to find the largest possible volume for a right cylinder created by rotating a rectangle with a perimeter of 40cm around one of its sides. By setting up an equation for the volume, 40 = 2h + 2r, and solving for the maximum volume using the derivative, we get a value of 3141.592cm^3, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 3723.37cm^3, which can be found by properly squaring the radius and understanding that the rectangle is rotated around a side, not a center line.
danizh
Question: A rectangle with a perimeter of 40cm is rotated around one of its sides, creating a right cylinder. What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?
Here's what I have done so far:
Equation #1:
40 = 2h + 2r
r = 20 - h
Equation #2:
Volume = pi*r^2h
= pi(20-h)(h)
= 20pi*h - h^2*(pi)
Derivate of volume: 20pi-2pi*h
10=h
Therefore, r also equals 10.
Thus, the maximum volume is 3141.592cm^3, which is incorrect.
The actual answer is 3723.37cm^3. Any help would be great. :biggrin:

Sorry, but I think this should be in the "Calculus and Beyond" board.
I'm not too sure how to move it there, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
danizh said:
Equation #2:
Volume = pi*r^2h
= pi(20-h)(h)
= 20pi*h - h^2*(pi)
I think you forgot to square the radius (20-h) when putting it in...

I may be wrong, I just looked at it quickly and that's what I saw.

EDIT: My way, my calculator now tells me 3723.3691 so yup, that was your mistake

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
I'll be more careful next time. :smile:

I have another question, wouldn't it be more appropriate if the "restraint equation" was 40 = 2h + 4r rather than 40 = 2h + 2r. It just seems to make more sense since if the cylinder is transformed into a rectangle, each side of the triangle would be a diameter (or two times the radius) rather than just the radius, which we are assuming right now. I'm just curious to know why I get the wrong answer if I do it the way that seems to be more logical to me.

danizh said:
I have another question, wouldn't it be more appropriate if the "restraint equation" was 40 = 2h + 4r rather than 40 = 2h + 2r. It just seems to make more sense since if the cylinder is transformed into a rectangle, each side of the triangle[\b] would be a diameter (or two times the radius) rather than just the radius, which we are assuming right now. I'm just curious to know why I get the wrong answer if I do it the way that seems to be more logical to me.

I assume you meant "rectangle" where you wrote "triangle" above. The reason a side of the rectangle is a radius not a diameter is that the rectangle is rotated about one side, not about a center line of the rectangle.

Ah, I understand it now! Thanks for clearing that up.
I think the key to the question is that it is rotated to create a right cylinder.

what did you get for your "r" value? I'm doing somethign wrong...

Related to Solving Cylinder Volume from Rectangle Perimeter of 40cm

1. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder from a rectangle perimeter of 40cm?

To calculate the volume of a cylinder from a rectangle perimeter of 40cm, you first need to find the radius of the cylinder. This can be found by dividing the perimeter by 4π. Once you have the radius, you can then use the formula V = πr2h to calculate the volume, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. Can the volume of a cylinder be calculated without knowing the height?

No, the volume of a cylinder cannot be calculated without knowing the height. The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder requires both the radius and the height.

3. What is the relationship between cylinder volume and rectangle perimeter?

The volume of a cylinder is directly proportional to the perimeter of a rectangle inscribed in the base of the cylinder. This means that as the perimeter of the rectangle increases, the volume of the cylinder also increases.

4. How can the volume of a cylinder be measured experimentally?

The volume of a cylinder can be measured experimentally by filling it with a known amount of water or other liquid and then measuring the volume of the liquid using a graduated cylinder or other measuring device.

5. Why is it important to calculate the volume of a cylinder?

Calculating the volume of a cylinder is important for a variety of reasons. It can help in determining the capacity of a container, such as a water tank or a gas cylinder. It is also important in various engineering and construction projects, where accurate volume calculations are necessary for designing structures and determining material quantities.