Solving Differential Eqs with Critical Point: Initial Conditions & Solutions

In summary: D_1=\frac{2a^2/r-\alpha/r^2}{\rho}, D_2=\frac{2u^2/r-\alpha/r^2}{u} and D=\frac{u^2-a^2}{\rho u}In summary, the speaker has two discrepancies with the system mentioned. They are unsure about the possibility of having multiple solutions to a differential equation or system for the same initial problem, and they are also unsure about how to solve the system. They express their confusion and ask for clarification, providing equations and conditions they have tried. They mention using Mathematica to solve the system, but it diverges at a certain point. They then realize there is a mistake
Vrbic
Hello,
I have two different discrepancies to this system:
a) How and when is possible to have more solution of differential eq. or their system for same initial problem? For example this is happening in following system. It is written about this system:
"Different value of constant [itex]\dot{M}=4\pi r^2u\rho=const.[/itex] lead to physically distinct classes of solution for the same boundary condition at infinity". Can anybody explain it to me?

[itex]\frac{\rho'}{\rho}+\frac{u'}{u}+\frac{2}{r}=0[/itex]
[itex]uu'+a^2(r)\frac{\rho'}{\rho}+\frac{\alpha}{r^2}=0[/itex], where [itex]a(r)=a_0\big(\frac{\rho(r)}{\rho_0}\big)^{(\Gamma-1)/2}[/itex], [itex]\rho(r)[/itex] and [itex]u(r)[/itex] are function of r and [itex]\Gamma, a_0, \rho_0, \alpha[/itex] are constant.[itex][/itex]

b) How to solve this system? I am quit sure that is possible just numerically and I tried. I expressed this equation in this way:
[itex]u'=\frac{D_1}{D}[/itex]
[itex]u'=\frac{D_2}{D}[/itex], where [itex]D_1=\frac{2a^2/r-\alpha/r^2}{\rho}[/itex], [itex]D_2=\frac{2u^2/r-\alpha/r^2}{u}[/itex] and [itex]D=\frac{u^2-a^2}{\rho u}[/itex].
No I see if I want smooth solution I need [itex]D_1=D_2=D=0[/itex] in same critical point [itex]r_c[/itex]. These are two boundary condition (Im not sure what difference is between boundary and initial condition?). I find out [itex]r_c[/itex] and [itex]u_c[/itex], value of [itex]u(r_c)=u_c[/itex]. So I have to condition [itex]a(r_c)=u(r_c)[/itex] and [itex]u(r_c)=u_c[/itex] Am I right till this time?
Now is coming my question:
Im not much familiar with numerical methods or numerical solving so I used Mathematica soft, concretely function NDSolve with conditions mentioned above. And Mathematica said "no". By "no" I mean it diverges in [itex]r_c[/itex]. What could be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
Hello,
I have two different discrepancies to this system:
a) How and when is possible to have more solution of differential eq. or their system for same initial problem? For example this is happening in following system. It is written about this system:
"Different value of constant [itex]\dot{M}=4\pi r^2u\rho=const.[/itex] lead to physically distinct classes of solution for the same boundary condition at infinity". Can anybody explain it to me?

[itex]\frac{\rho'}{\rho}+\frac{u'}{u}+\frac{2}{r}=0[/itex]
[itex]uu'+a^2(r)\frac{\rho'}{\rho}+\frac{\alpha}{r^2}=0[/itex], where [itex]a(r)=a_0\big(\frac{\rho(r)}{\rho_0}\big)^{(\Gamma-1)/2}[/itex], [itex]\rho(r)[/itex] and [itex]u(r)[/itex] are function of r and [itex]\Gamma, a_0, \rho_0, \alpha[/itex] are constant.[itex][/itex]

b) How to solve this system? I am quit sure that is possible just numerically and I tried. I expressed this equation in this way:
[itex]u'=\frac{D_2}{D}[/itex], where [itex]D_1=\frac{2a^2/r-\alpha/r^2}{\rho}[/itex], [itex]D_2=\frac{2u^2/r-\alpha/r^2}{u}[/itex] and [itex]D=\frac{u^2-a^2}{\rho u}[/itex].
No I see if I want smooth solution I need [itex]D_1=D_2=D=0[/itex] in same critical point [itex]r_c[/itex]. These are two boundary condition (Im not sure what difference is between boundary and initial condition?). I find out [itex]r_c[/itex] and [itex]u_c[/itex], value of [itex]u(r_c)=u_c[/itex]. So I have to condition [itex]a(r_c)=u(r_c)[/itex] and [itex]u(r_c)=u_c[/itex] Am I right till this time?
Now is coming my question:
Im not much familiar with numerical methods or numerical solving so I used Mathematica soft, concretely function NDSolve with conditions mentioned above. And Mathematica said "no". By "no" I mean it diverges in [itex]r_c[/itex]. What could be wrong?
Mistake in second equation in section b) so again both:
[itex]\rho'=\frac{D_2}{D}[/itex],

1. What is a critical point in differential equations?

A critical point in differential equations is a point where the derivative of the equation is equal to zero. This means that the slope of the function at that point is flat, and the behavior of the function changes at that point.

2. How do initial conditions affect the solution of a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the starting values of a function at a given point. These values are used to find the particular solution of a differential equation. Different initial conditions can result in different solutions, so they are important in determining the behavior of the function.

3. What is the process for solving differential equations with critical points?

The process for solving differential equations with critical points involves finding the critical points, determining the behavior of the function at those points, and using the initial conditions to find the particular solution. This may involve using methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple critical points?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple critical points. This means that there are multiple points where the derivative is equal to zero and the behavior of the function changes. Each critical point will have its own particular solution based on the initial conditions.

5. How do critical points help us understand the behavior of a function described by a differential equation?

Critical points help us understand the behavior of a function because they indicate where the function changes direction or behavior. By analyzing the behavior of the function at these points and using the initial conditions, we can determine the overall behavior of the function and how it changes over time.