Solving differential equation from variational principle

In summary, the conversation is discussing a differential equation obtained from the Euler-Lagrange variational principle with two known boundary conditions. The person is trying to solve for y as a function of x, but is unsure about the form of the function f(y). They ask for advice on how to solve the equation and if it is possible to guess the form of f(y) from the boundary conditions.
JulieK
I have the following differential equation which I obtained from Euler-Lagrange
variational principle
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=0[/itex]

I also have two boundary conditions: [itex]y\left(0\right)=y_{1}[/itex] and
[itex]y\left(D\right)=y_{2}[/itex] where [itex]D[/itex], [itex]y_{1}[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}[/itex] are known
numbers.
I assume that I should integrate once to get
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}}\frac{dy}{dx}=f\left(y\right)[/itex]

where [itex]f\left(y\right)[/itex] is a function of [itex]y[/itex]. I would like to get
[itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] but the problem is that I don't know the
form of [itex]f\left(y\right)[/itex].
My question, how to solve this equation to get [itex]y[/itex] as a function
of [itex]x[/itex]. Is it possible to guess the form of [itex]f\left(y\right)[/itex], e.g.
from the bounday conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulieK,
I am not sure I understand: why are you applying a partial differential operator to what looks like a function of one variable? If that is just a typo, then your equation gets much easier: you just equate the term inside the parenthesis to a constant and get an ODE that is integrable by part.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to describe mathematical relationships between variables that change continuously over time or space.

2. What is a variational principle?

A variational principle is a mathematical concept that states that the solution to a problem can be found by minimizing or maximizing a certain functional, which is a mathematical expression involving the unknown function and its derivatives.

3. How do you solve a differential equation using a variational principle?

To solve a differential equation using a variational principle, you first need to express the equation as a functional, then apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the stationary points of the functional. These stationary points correspond to the solutions of the differential equation.

4. What are the advantages of solving a differential equation using a variational principle?

Using a variational principle can often simplify the process of solving a differential equation, as it allows us to transform the problem into an optimization problem. It also provides a more general approach, as it can be applied to a wide range of differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to solving differential equations from variational principles?

While variational principles can be a useful tool for solving differential equations, they may not always provide a unique solution. Additionally, they may not be applicable to all types of differential equations, particularly those involving boundary conditions.