Solving Divergence Problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$

• Thread starter Dopplershift
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the divergence of a vector field given by (x^3+y^2z)hat{x}+(y^3+x^2z)hat{y}. The formula for divergence was given as nabla \cdot \vec{B} = (\hat{x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+ \hat{y}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}) \cdot (B_x \hat{x} +B_y \hat{y} ) = \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial y}. By applying this formula, the answer was found to be 3x^2+3y^2, which is
Dopplershift
So I have this problem which wants me to find the divergence of:
\begin{equation}
\vec{B}(x,y,z) = (x^3+y^2z)\hat{x}+(y^3+x^2z)\hat{y}
\end{equation}
Given that the divergence is given by:
\begin{equation}
\nabla \cdot \vec{B} = (\hat{x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+ \hat{y}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}) \cdot (B_x \hat{x} +B_y \hat{y} ) = \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial y}
\end{equation}
By doing that I get:
\begin{equation}
3x^2+3y^2
\end{equation}
I feel like the answer should be a scalar, can someone give me a hint if I am doing the correct steps, or provide me a hint on where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
##3x^2 + 3y^2 ## is a scalar. It is just a different scalar at any given point in the plane.

Why do you believe your answer isn't a scalar?

RUber said:
##3x^2 + 3y^2 ## is a scalar. It is just a different scalar at any given point in the plane.

Ah, yes, you're right, I forgot that I got rid of the \hat{x} and \hat{y} when I took the dot product.

Thank you! :)

Related to Solving Divergence Problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$

1. What is the divergence problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$?

The divergence problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$ refers to the issue of inconsistent or undefined values for the magnetic field at certain points in space due to the mathematical properties of vector calculus.

2. Why is solving the divergence problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$ important?

Solving the divergence problem is crucial for accurately modeling and understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in various physical systems, such as in electromagnetism and plasma physics. It also allows for the proper application of Maxwell's equations, which govern the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena.

3. What methods are commonly used to solve the divergence problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$?

Some common approaches include using gauge transformations, introducing gauge fields, or using a regularization technique such as the method of magnetic vector potentials.

4. Can the divergence problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$ be completely eliminated?

No, it is a fundamental aspect of vector calculus and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be effectively managed and minimized through the use of appropriate mathematical techniques.

5. How does solving the divergence problem of $\vec{B}(x,y,z)$ impact practical applications?

Solving the divergence problem allows for more accurate and reliable predictions and simulations in various fields such as engineering, astrophysics, and geophysics. It also enables the development of more advanced technologies, such as MRI machines and fusion reactors.