Solving Elementary Statistics Problems: Simple Probability

• Thread starter exitwound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's difficulty with elementary statistics and their request for help. The student also provides two practice questions from the textbook regarding the probability of customers purchasing gas or electric dryers at a store. They give their attempts at solving the questions, but express difficulty in understanding the concept. Another person responds by explaining the logic behind the equations and reassuring the student that they are on the right track.
exitwound
I'm new to Statistics. Never had it in High School and now I'm in Elementary Statistics in college. I'm less than a week into class and I'm lost. Perhaps you could help.

Homework Statement

I have the answer to this as it's a practice question from the book. I don't know how to get it.
Consider the type of clothes dryer (gas or electric) purchased by each of five different customers at a certain store.

a.) If the probability that at most one of these purchases an electric dryer is .428, what is the probability that at least two purchase an electric dryer?

b.) If P(all five purchase gas) = .116 and P(all five purchase electric) = .005, what is the probability that at least one of each type is purchased?

Homework Equations

P(A') = 1 - P(A)
Others, maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) If P(at most one buys electric), then P(at least 2 buys electric) is 1-P(at most one buys electric). So, P(at least 2 buys electric) = .572, correct?

b.)
P(All 5 Gas) = .116
P(All 5 Elec) = .005

That's as far as I get, writing down the numbers. I have no idea where to go. In fact, I'm having an awful trouble with this material altogether. I just can't visualize any of it, or put what I'm trying to do into words easily.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same reasoning as the first one. Think about it. If it's NOT true that 5 gas or 5 electric were purchased, then at least one of each was purchased. So P(at least one of each)+P(all 5 gas)+P(all 5 electric)=1.

I don't understand your reasoning for assembling the equation that way. As I said, I'm having a really hard time equating the basic probability equations to the ideas in this chapter. I understand that the sample space = 1, but not the left side.

exitwound said:
I don't understand your reasoning for assembling the equation that way. As I said, I'm having a really hard time equating the basic probability equations to the ideas in this chapter. I understand that the sample space = 1, but not the left side.

It's logic. One and only one of the alternatives on the left can occur. So they cover the whole sample space. So their sum is 1. Take any sale pattern that can occur, think about which pattern it fits.

Related to Solving Elementary Statistics Problems: Simple Probability

What is simple probability?

Simple probability is a branch of statistics that deals with the likelihood of a particular event occurring. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

How do I solve elementary statistics problems involving simple probability?

To solve elementary statistics problems involving simple probability, you first need to identify the event of interest and determine the total number of possible outcomes. Then, calculate the probability by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of outcomes. Finally, express the probability as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the probability of an event occurring based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is the probability of an event occurring based on actual experiment or observation.

How do I determine the sample space in simple probability?

The sample space is the set of all possible outcomes for a given event. To determine the sample space, you can use a tree diagram, organized list, or a Venn diagram to list out all the possible outcomes. It is important to ensure that all possible outcomes are included in the sample space.

What are the common misconceptions about simple probability?

One common misconception about simple probability is the belief that past events can affect the likelihood of future events. In reality, the outcomes of simple probability events are independent of each other. Another misconception is the assumption that all outcomes are equally likely, which may not always be the case. It is important to carefully consider the given scenario to accurately determine the probability.