Solving First Order Differential Equation with Initial Value x(0)=2

In summary, the conversation is about solving a first order differential equation with a given initial value of x(0)=2. The steps involved are finding the integral of both sides, which leads to ln(3x+4)=\frac{1}{2}ln(t^{\frac{1}{2}}). However, there are some errors in the integration that need to be corrected. As for the initial value, it is unclear how to proceed with it at this point.
rugapark
I'm trying to solve this firrst order diff. equation, where I'm given the initial value, x(0)=2[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{3x+4}{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{3x+4}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}dt[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{1}{3x+4}dx=\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}dt[/tex]

[tex]ln(3x+4)=ln(t^{\frac{1}{2}})[/tex]

this is as far as I got, do I sub in x(0)=2 into the LHS? if not, could i have some pointers to help carry on?

cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rugapark said:
I'm trying to solve this firrst order diff. equation, where I'm given the initial value, x(0)=2

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{3x+4}{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{3x+4}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{3x+4}=\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

[tex]ln(3x+4)=ln(t^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Your solution looks good up until the final line. You may want to re-check your integrals.

[edit] - there should be 'dt' s on the RHS in the 2nd and 3rd line of work

[tex]\int \frac{dt}{\sqrt{t}}= \int t^{-1/2}dt[/tex]
is NOT [itex]ln(t^{1/2})[/itex]!

also don't forget your constant that comes from the integration

oh right, my mistake lol

so, the last line should be

[tex]ln(3x+4)=\frac{1}{2}ln(t^{\frac{1}{2}})[/tex]

I have no idea where to go from here with the initial value that I was given x(0)=2! would I sub in x=2 into the equation?

rugapark said:
oh right, my mistake lol

so, the last line should be

[tex]ln(3x+4)=\frac{1}{2}ln(t^{\frac{1}{2}})[/tex]

I have no idea where to go from here with the initial value that I was given x(0)=2! would I sub in x=2 into the equation?

As other people have been trying to tell you, the integral of t^(-1/2) DOES NOT involve a log. It's just power law. And I still don't see a constant of integration.

Related to Solving First Order Differential Equation with Initial Value x(0)=2

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It relates the rate of change of a quantity to the quantity itself.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the unknown function that satisfies the equation and describes the behavior of a system or process. This allows us to make predictions and understand the dynamics of the system.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, PDEs involve multiple independent variables, and SDEs involve random variables and probability distributions.

4. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They provide a way to mathematically model and analyze various natural and physical phenomena, including motion, growth, and decay.

5. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas or techniques for different types of equations (e.g. Euler's method for ODEs, Green's functions for PDEs). Numerical methods, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and finite difference methods, are also commonly used to approximate solutions to differential equations.