1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving First Order Linear Differential Equation

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given (E): [itex](x+1)^{2}(xy'-y) = -(2x+1)[/itex]

Determine the set of applications from the interval [itex]I[/itex] to [itex]ℝ[/itex] which are solutions of (E) for:

a) [itex]I = (0,+∞)[/itex]
    b) [itex]I = (-1,0)[/itex]
    c) [itex]I = (-∞,-1)[/itex]
    d) [itex]I = (-1,+∞)[/itex]
    e) [itex]I = ℝ[/itex]

The attempt at a solution

I have rearranged (E) into the form:

[itex]y'-\frac{y}{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-(2x+1)}{x(x+1)^{2}}[/itex]

and chosen integrating factor:

[itex]exp(∫\frac{-1}{x}dx) = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

now multiplying by the integrating factor and integrating gives:

[itex]∫\frac{y'}{x}-\frac{y}{x^{2}}dx = ∫\frac{-(2x+1)}{x^{2}(x+1)^{2}}dx[/itex]

partial fractions now give:

[itex]∫\frac{y'}{x}-\frac{y}{x^{2}}dx = ∫\frac{-1}{x^{2}}+\frac{1}{(x+1)^{2}}dx[/itex]

After integrating and a tiny bit of algebra I get a general solution, for [itex]k\inℝ[/itex] as:

[itex]y=\frac{1}{x+1}+kx[/itex]

Now I think I am right in saying that this solution works fine for the intervals in a), b) and c)?

However for [itex]I = (-1,+∞)[/itex] there is (or potentially is) a problem with the point [itex]0[/itex] and for [itex]I = ℝ[/itex] there are (or potentially are) problems with the points [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]-1[/itex]?

Now I'm not sure how to proceed. Am I thinking along the right lines?

Any help/pointers would be very much appreciated, Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    Can the general solution already posted simply extend to [itex]I = (-1,+∞)[/itex] ??
    If so how can this be shown in detail?

Also I don't yet understand what happens when we are considering [itex]ℝ[/itex]

Thanks for any help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook