Solving for abd + a'bc + ab'c = abd + a'bc + ab'c + bcd + acd

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is trying to prove an equation but has made a mistake in their original thinking and realized that their assumption of a+b=0 leading to ab=0 is incorrect. They are seeking suggestions on how to fix their error.
magnifik
I'm trying to prove

abd + a'bc + ab'c + bcd + acd = abd + a'bc + ab'c

i originally thought
abd + c(a'b + ab' + bd + ad) =
abd + c(a'b + ab' + d(a+b)) =
abd + c(a'b + ab'), where a+b = 0
but i realized if a+b = 0, ab = 0 as well, which would cancel out the abd, and that is clearly incorrect. any suggestions?? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
magnifik said:
I'm trying to prove

abd + a'bc + ab'c + bcd + acd = abd + a'bc + ab'c

i originally thought
abd + c(a'b + ab' + bd + ad) =
abd + c(a'b + ab' + d(a+b)) =
abd + c(a'b + ab'), where a+b = 0
but i realized if a+b = 0, ab = 0 as well, which would cancel out the abd, and that is clearly incorrect. any suggestions?? thanks

The equation doesn't look right. The terms on the right are repeated on the left, but there are extra terms on the left as well. How could that work? That's probably why you are getting some forced zeros...

1. What is the purpose of solving for abd + a'bc + ab'c = abd + a'bc + ab'c + bcd + acd?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of the variables (a, b, c, and d) that make the left and right sides of the equation equal. This will help in simplifying the expression and solving for one or more unknown variables.

2. Can this equation be solved using basic algebraic principles?

Yes, this equation can be solved using basic algebraic principles such as combining like terms, distributing, and using the properties of equality.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this equation include not distributing the terms correctly, forgetting to combine like terms, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully follow each step and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

4. Is it necessary to have numerical values for the variables to solve this equation?

No, it is not necessary to have numerical values for the variables to solve this equation. The solution can be expressed in terms of the variables if they are not given specific values. However, having numerical values for the variables can make the solving process easier.

5. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have more than one solution. This means that there can be different combinations of values for the variables that make the equation true. It is important to check your solution to ensure that it satisfies the original equation.