Solving for b with van der Waals

In summary, the student is trying to solve for b with van der Waals, but is having trouble because the coefficient can be negative.
mrawls
solving for "b" with van der Waals

1. Homework Statement

The problem gives me "a", the temperature, volume, number of moles, and pressure. It asks me to solve for "b".

I have set up the equation to solve for b, and done it. The answer comes out with the right units but it is negative.

2. Homework Equations

Can the value of the coefficient be negative or does that mean I did it wrong?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The equation:

p = nRT/(V-nb) - a(n/V)^2

Using that equation, I came up with:

b = (Vp + Va(n/V)^2 - nRT) / (np + na(n/V)^2)

I came up with b = -4.58x(10^-4) (m^3) (mol^-1)
Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Physics news on Phys.org

The equation looks right. Could you provide us with the values given please?

Yes, sorry I forgot to list them before.

a = .580(m^6)(Pa)(mol^-2)
T = 273K
P = 5,000,000 Pa
R = 8.3144 Pa(m^3)/(mol)K

I then solved for a(n/V)^2 and plugged that answer into the equation (I got 4734693.9 Pa for that)

I actually realized a huge mistake I made when posting these values. The given pressure was 5 MPa, but in my equation I plugged in only 1 MPa... I am almost certain that must have been the problem.

I think you left out the Volume there.

Did plugging in the correct value for P fix your problem?

b should definitely not be negative as it is a measure of how much volume, on average, is displaced by a given particle.

Wow I did forget to list the volume too.. Sorry I had a busy day haha I was not thinking clearly.

Using the correct pressure resulted in the right answer, with the right units!

Sadly my professor likes to give every value in non-SI unrelated units and we have to do all sorts of conversions :(

1. What is van der Waals equation?

The van der Waals equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas molecules. It is an improvement on the ideal gas law, which assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other.

2. How is the van der Waals equation used in scientific research?

The van der Waals equation is used in scientific research to accurately predict the behavior of real gases in various conditions, such as high pressures and low temperatures. It is also used to study the properties of different gases and to understand their interactions with each other.

3. What is the significance of the constant "b" in the van der Waals equation?

The constant "b" in the van der Waals equation represents the volume excluded by one mole of gas molecules. It takes into account the finite size of gas molecules, which is not considered in the ideal gas law. This constant helps to improve the accuracy of the equation and make it applicable to real gases.

4. How do you solve for "b" in the van der Waals equation?

To solve for "b" in the van der Waals equation, you need to know the values of the other constants, "a" and "R", as well as the values of pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas. You can then rearrange the equation and solve for "b" using basic algebraic principles.

5. Can the van der Waals equation be used for all gases?

No, the van der Waals equation is not suitable for all gases. It is most accurate for non-polar gases at low pressures and high temperatures. For polar gases or gases at high pressures and low temperatures, other equations, such as the Redlich-Kwong equation, may be more appropriate.