Solving for Final Momentum and Velocity of a Baseball-Bullet Collision

  • Thread starter Thread starter domyy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
domyy
Messages
196
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A baseball pitcher throws a fast-ball (mass 50g) to stop a bullet (mass 5g), which has been shot at him at a speed of 400m/s by an angry fan. Can the pitcher save himself by stopping the bullet with a fast-ball of 100mph assuming a perfectly inelastic head-on collision, where the bullet gets stuck in the baseball?

What is the final momentum and the final speed of the baseball+bullet system?


Homework Equations



P = mv+mv

The Attempt at a Solution



So I did:

Final momentum:

P= bullet = (400m/s)(0.005kg) = 2

p = fast-ball = 100mph = 44.7m/s = (44.7m/s)(0.05kg) = 2.235

Pf = 2.235 + 2 = 4.235kg.m/s

Final velocity:

If the question were find the final velocity of the bullet, I guess I´d have written 0, right (because it´s perfectly inelastic)?

But since I am being asked the final speed for both baseball +bullet system, I am attempting:

v = p/m
v = 4.235kg.m/s divided by 0.055kg (total mass) = 77m/s.

So, is that correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right all the way up to the point where you get your Pf. That is incorrect, as the momentum is in opposite directions. You should subtract, not add.
 
So,

pf = 0.235kg. m/s

vf = v/m = 0.235kg. m/s divided by 0.055kg (total mass) = 4.27m/s.

Is that correct now?
 
Yes. So what can we conclude from your answers? The pitcher can indeed save himself from the bullet. Don't try this at home though, it's a crazy physics question :P.