Solving for Final Momentum and Velocity of a Baseball-Bullet Collision

• Thread starter domyy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a baseball pitcher can save himself from a bullet shot at him by throwing a fast-ball and achieving a perfectly inelastic head-on collision. The final momentum and speed of the baseball+bullet system are calculated, with the conclusion that the pitcher can indeed save himself. However, the conversation also notes that this is a purely theoretical scenario and should not be attempted in real life.
domyy

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher throws a fast-ball (mass 50g) to stop a bullet (mass 5g), which has been shot at him at a speed of 400m/s by an angry fan. Can the pitcher save himself by stopping the bullet with a fast-ball of 100mph assuming a perfectly inelastic head-on collision, where the bullet gets stuck in the baseball?

What is the final momentum and the final speed of the baseball+bullet system?

Homework Equations

P = mv+mv

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did:

Final momentum:

P= bullet = (400m/s)(0.005kg) = 2

p = fast-ball = 100mph = 44.7m/s = (44.7m/s)(0.05kg) = 2.235

Pf = 2.235 + 2 = 4.235kg.m/s

Final velocity:

If the question were find the final velocity of the bullet, I guess I´d have written 0, right (because it´s perfectly inelastic)?

But since I am being asked the final speed for both baseball +bullet system, I am attempting:

v = p/m
v = 4.235kg.m/s divided by 0.055kg (total mass) = 77m/s.

So, is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right all the way up to the point where you get your Pf. That is incorrect, as the momentum is in opposite directions. You should subtract, not add.

So,

pf = 0.235kg. m/s

vf = v/m = 0.235kg. m/s divided by 0.055kg (total mass) = 4.27m/s.

Is that correct now?

Yes. So what can we conclude from your answers? The pitcher can indeed save himself from the bullet. Don't try this at home though, it's a crazy physics question :P.

hahaha! Thank you SO MUCH! You are great ! =)

Np, glad I could help :)

1. Can you confirm the answers are correct?

As a scientist, I can confirm that the answers are correct based on the evidence and data that has been gathered and analyzed. However, it is always important to continue to question and evaluate information in the pursuit of knowledge.

2. How can you be sure the answers are accurate?

The answers are deemed accurate through a rigorous process of experimentation, observation, and data analysis. In addition, scientific research is constantly peer-reviewed and replicated to ensure accuracy and validity.

3. Is there a margin of error for the answers?

Yes, there is often a margin of error associated with scientific answers. This is due to the complexity of the natural world and the limitations of scientific methods. However, scientists strive to minimize this margin of error through careful experimentation and statistical analysis.

4. Can you explain the methodology used to arrive at the answers?

The methodology used to arrive at the answers may vary depending on the specific scientific field and research question. Generally, it involves formulating a hypothesis, designing experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the data to draw conclusions. This process is often repeated multiple times to ensure the accuracy of the answers.

5. Are the answers definitive or subject to change?

As with any scientific knowledge, the answers may be subject to change as new evidence and data is discovered. This is a natural and necessary aspect of the scientific process as it allows for a better understanding of the world around us. However, the scientific community works to constantly refine and improve upon previous answers in order to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information.