1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for forces/reactions and moments in a complicated frame

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1

2. [tex]\sum[/tex]Maboutapoint

3. Well firstly i just looked at it as a whole to see if i can figure out any of the reactions at F or B. I am confused about where to and where not to apply that moment of 48 Nm which is replacing the force at A.

For example when im taking the moment about point F when looking at the system as A WHOLE, should i take into consideration that 48 Nm in the moment equation?

When im taking it about point E of the WHOLE SYSTEM i do not? or no matter what, I have to add 48 Nm in all moment equations that i make????

And then please telll me when I DISMEMBER the frame when im looking at the member FCA, is that the only time i take that moment into consideration, or no matter which dismembered part im looking at, I have to take that moment of 48 Nm at point A into consideration in the MOMENT equation I make?
    plzzzzzzz help
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

In order to solve this problem, simply find the vertical (y-components) of the reactions F and B, by using the whole body, dismember for finding the horizontal (x-components).

Remember: Moments are Free vectors unlike forces which are sliding vectors.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?