Solving for forces/reactions and moments in a complicated frame

  • Thread starter Thread starter salman213
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frame Moments
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
salman213
Messages
301
Reaction score
1
1.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/520/fic06p090bk7.png

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2763/vqc06p090je0.png​
[/URL]


2. [tex]\sum[/tex]Maboutapoint
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx




3. Well firstly i just looked at it as a whole to see if i can figure out any of the reactions at F or B. I am confused about where to and where not to apply that moment of 48 Nm which is replacing the force at A.

For example when I am taking the moment about point F when looking at the system as A WHOLE, should i take into consideration that 48 Nm in the moment equation?

When I am taking it about point E of the WHOLE SYSTEM i do not? or no matter what, I have to add 48 Nm in all moment equations that i make?

And then please telll me when I DISMEMBER the frame when I am looking at the member FCA, is that the only time i take that moment into consideration, or no matter which dismembered part I am looking at, I have to take that moment of 48 Nm at point A into consideration in the MOMENT equation I make?
pleasezzzzzz help
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to solve this problem, simply find the vertical (y-components) of the reactions F and B, by using the whole body, dismember for finding the horizontal (x-components).

Remember: Moments are Free vectors unlike forces which are sliding vectors.