Solving e^x and y for x & y: Why is it Wrong?

• Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date
In summary: This tells you that there can be no real value of x so that this equation holds. Hence the equations have no solution.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

e^x*cosy=0
-e^x*siny=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they both equal to 0 I set them equal to each other:
e^x*cosy = -e^x*siny
I can cancel the e^x and I get:
tany = -1

Thus y = 7π/4 + n where n is an integer.

However this is incorrect when I plug it back into the original set of equations. Why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi theBEAST! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
theBEAST said:
Since they both equal to 0 I set them equal to each other:
e^x*cosy = -e^x*siny
I can cancel the e^x and I get:
tany = -1

Thus y = 7π/4 + n where n is an integer.

However this is incorrect when I plug it back into the original set of equations. Why is this wrong?

because you threw away information :rolleyes:

you started with two equations, and you ended with only one

you need two independent equations (for example, by subtracting instead of adding)

alternatively, just solve each original equation separately!

What you get is correct, but you missed a further step which disproves the existence of a solution. Put [itex]y=3\pi/4[/itex] in [itex]cos(y)[/itex] for the first equation, and you get

[itex]e^xcos(y) = 0[/itex]

[itex]-e^x = 0[/itex]

This tells you that there can be no real value of x so that this equation holds. Hence the equations have no solution.

As posted above, this system has no solution for real x and y. Here's a slightly different line of reasoning.

You started off with

[tex]e^x cos(y)=0[/tex]
[tex]-e^x sin(y)=0[/tex]

Note that in the second equation, we can get rid of the minus sign:

[tex]e^x cos(y)=0[/tex]
[tex]e^x sin(y)=0[/tex]

Now, we know that [itex]e^x[/itex] is never equal to [itex]0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex], so in each equation, we must have the other term in the product equal to [itex]0[/itex]. That is, we must have [itex]cos(y) = 0 = sin(y)[/itex].

But from our knowledge of the unit circle, we know that this is never possible. In fact, since [itex]sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1[/itex], whenever either function is equal to [itex]0[/itex], the other is equal to [itex]±1 ≠ 0.[/itex]

1. What is the purpose of solving e^x and y for x & y?

The purpose of solving e^x and y for x & y is to find the values of x and y that satisfy the given equation. This can help in solving various mathematical problems and understanding the relationship between the variables.

2. Why is it considered wrong to solve e^x and y for x & y?

Solving e^x and y for x & y is not considered wrong, but it may not always yield a unique solution. This is because there are multiple possible values of x and y that can satisfy the equation, making it difficult to find a specific solution.

3. Can you explain the process of solving e^x and y for x & y?

The process of solving e^x and y for x & y involves isolating the variables x and y on one side of the equation and applying logarithms to both sides. This helps to rewrite the equation in a form where the variables can be solved for.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when solving e^x and y for x & y?

Some common mistakes people make when solving e^x and y for x & y include forgetting to apply logarithms, not isolating the variables properly, and not considering all possible solutions. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check the solution to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any applications of solving e^x and y for x & y in real life?

Yes, solving e^x and y for x & y has many applications in real life, particularly in fields like finance, economics, and physics. It can help in modeling exponential growth and decay, calculating compound interest, and understanding relationships between variables in various systems.