Solving Fraction Limit Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving limits and how to solve it by finding the common denominator. The individual has successfully solved the first problem and asks for help with a similar one involving square roots. The expert provides guidance and confirms the individual's work is correct.
beneakin
I've been working on this one for a while now but just can't figure it out

lim h->0 (1/h) (( 1 / (x + h) ) - ( 1 / x ))

my first thought was to figure out (( 1 / (x + h) ) - ( 1 / x )) first by just putting them togeather and then using the congjigate times by one trick but that just made the problem way more complicated

any hints to get me on the right track?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
beneakin said:
I've been working on this one for a while now but just can't figure it out

lim h->0 (1/h) (( 1 / (x + h) ) - ( 1 / x ))

my first thought was to figure out (( 1 / (x + h) ) - ( 1 / x )) first by just putting them togeather and then using the congjigate times by one trick but that just made the problem way more complicated

any hints to get me on the right track?

thanks in advance

You are on the right track, find the common denominator, what do you get?

wow.. i must have done something wrong in that calculation ...just got what i think is the answer first try.. here's what happened...

(x-x+h)/((x+h)x)

h / x(x+h)

then times that by 1/h from the beginning of the problem to get

h / h(x^2+h)

which is

1 / x^2

Is this right??

anyways i tried this route on the next problem i have (very similar problem but with square roots)

lim h->0 (1 / h) ( (1/sqrt(x+h)) - (1/sqrt(x)) )

so i did the common factor and then i multiplied that by
( sqrt(x) + sqrt(x+h) / sqrt(x) + sqrt(x+h) )

to get at the numerator which is sqrt(x) - (1/sqrt(x+h)

which i end up with just h in the numerator

but on the denominator i have ( sqrt(x + h) * sqrt(x) ) ( sqrt(x) + sqrt(x+h) )?

thanks

Well, the way you set out your working could be a bit more rigorous; for example, you only get to the last line after you take a limit, otherwise the two last lines aren't actually equal. Things like that aside, you are correct. Well done =]

For your next problem, yes your working is correct so far, don't stop now!

Actually it's not right, you should have x - (x + h) which is not h

Related to Solving Fraction Limit Problem?

What is a limit problem with fractions?

A limit problem with fractions is a mathematical equation or expression that involves a fraction and asks what value the fraction approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. It is used to understand the behavior of a function or expression near a particular point.

How do you solve a limit problem with fractions?

To solve a limit problem with fractions, you can use algebraic manipulation, factoring, or common denominator techniques. You can also use the rules of limits, such as the limit of a sum, difference, or product, to simplify the expression. In some cases, you may need to use L'Hopital's rule or graph the function to understand its behavior.

When do limit problems with fractions have no solution?

A limit problem with fractions may have no solution when the fraction has a denominator of 0, which is undefined. This can also happen when the limit approaches positive or negative infinity, or when there is a discontinuity in the function at the given value.

Why are limit problems with fractions important in science?

In science, limit problems with fractions are used to understand the behavior of physical phenomena and to make predictions based on mathematical models. They are particularly useful in calculating rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and reaction rates.

What are some real-life applications of limit problems with fractions?

Limit problems with fractions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. Some examples include calculating the speed of a falling object, determining the concentration of a reactant in a chemical reaction, and predicting the growth rate of a population.